• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should you just start out by buying what you've always wanted? Is it cheaper that way? 1964 B Body

Kmrumedy

Local time
6:52 AM
Reaction score
My favourite car in the world, by far, has always been a 1964 Polara with a Hemi. I've always wanted one...

So instead...in 2007, I bought a 1973 Challenger. Just a shell. I was watching Cut Chop and Rebuild on TV and thought that me and 3 friends could build an entire car from scratch over a weekend. TV never lies after all... Yeah...So I sold the 1973 Challenger.

My favourite car in the world, by far, has always been a 1964 Polara with a Hemi. I've always wanted one...

So instead...in 2009 I bought a 1972 Dart. It had a slant 6. By my own admission, one of the best cars I have ever owned...but I felt inadequate compared to my friends, so I bought a 5.7 Hemi to put in it before aftermarket parts were available.... Yep...so I sold the 1972 Dart.

So instead...in 2013, I bought a 1964.........Valiant. (Oh....so close....I got the year right...) A 500HP race car beast from West Virginia...spent 7 years trying to pass inspection....province would never let me put it on the road. Ugh...up for sale it goes....

So instead...in 2020 I bought 1956 Dodge Regent two door hard top sitting in a barn...very rare car. Spent 2 years working on it. Ended up in a magazine. A stunning automobile. The car worked perfectly... for 14 seconds... before something new would break... it's up for sale right now.

Did you know...My favourite car in the world, by far, has always been a 1964 Polara with a Hemi. I've always wanted one...

So 4 days ago....I purchased a 1964 Polara with a Hemi in it.

As god is my witness...for the first time in 16 years... I haven't looked at single classified ad in 4 days...

There may be hope after all.

So...what say yee....should you just wait, save, and get what you always wanted from the beginning...or take the long journey around?

My favourite car in the world, by far, has always been a 1964 Polara with a Hemi.

This one is mine...

Last edited:
Project cars are just that... Some short term some long term. Its fun for some and frustrating for others. If you like a project and have the chops to do it then go that route. If you would rather have instant satisfaction buy what you want.

The guys are probably right when they say that it’s cheaper to buy the completed car you want right off. But wheres the fun in that? For me personally, I like the journey. I like the projects. It’s just more fun, in my opinion. But I like tinkering.

Congratulations on finding and buying the car of your dreams! Now, the fun starts.

I was told many years ago that you should always, always buy a #2 or #3 car...... Ive just never been that darn smart!!!

Would love me a 64 Polara or 440. 330 would be fun too but most of them are still running low 10's on the drag strip. Hell I would be happy with a 273 or Poly 318 car. I have decided it will be the last Mopar I own before they take my license away because I am too old to drive. (I better get with the program) LMAO.

Would love me a 64 Polara or 440. 330 would be fun too but most of them are still running low 10's on the drag strip. Hell I would be happy with a 273 or Poly 318 car. I have decided it will be the last Mopar I own before they take my license away because I am too old to drive. (I better get with the program) LMAO.
Start building the first self-driving 64 Polara now

I'm waiting for the Flux capacitor and hover conversion for my Hemi GTX.
:rofl:

now THAT is how you open a thread........ Congrats on the Polara, and bonus points for that literary work of art

oh, and I think I heard a belt squeal :poke:

I like the journey too. You can build it the way you want. Hopefully it turns out the intended way. If not, try it again. Plus you get the ego boost, from all the nice car comments.

The guys are probably right when they say that it’s cheaper to buy the completed car you want right off. But wheres the fun in that? For me personally, I like the journey. I like the projects. It’s just more fun, in my opinion. But I like tinkering.
Yes. It's why I buy in-between. A nice non numbers matching car so not to pay premium price. Where I can upgrade with no price penalty for messing with an "All original." But don't have to touch every single component or body panel.

I too have wanted an old school hemi. Pro Street terror. So I bought my '69 GTX. Not even close to numbers matching. But solid #3 driver car. In fact, I can't confirm if it is a GTX. Someone long ago. Who has passed away 15 years ago put this car together. What I can tell it's at least from 2 separate GTX and one Sports Satellite. No body or component #s match. Except for fender tag, dash VIN. (which I suspect may not always been with car.) This is what's listed on title. So it's a GTX as far as I can tell today. Lol.

A 440, 18 spline A833 with Dana 3.54:1. Fender tag says should be 440, auto with 8 3/4 rear. So ALL OVER THE PLACE. Thus the price was $21k 5 years ago. Price reflecting non original. But period correct.

Now I have a new dilemma. How do I talk myself into spending $15k-$20k to upgrade to my dream street beast? By pulling a very decent running 440?

So far the enjoyment of the car as is. With its usual maintenance is winning the battle.

My point? There's middle ground selections out there. That allow for "Fun upgrades." But maintaining options. I know plenty here is tired of my single walk around vid. But for those that are not? Below

now THAT is how you open a thread........ Congrats on the Polara, and bonus points for that literary work of art

Yup! Great that you finally got the car of your dreams... And your first post in the thread is gold...

Ugh...I heard it too...

My favourite car in the world, by far, has always been a 1964 Polara with a Hemi....but it arrived with a belt squeal....so I sold my 1964 Polar....... :(

Last edited:
Ugh...I heard it too...

My favourite car in the world, by far, has always been a 1964 Polara with a Hemi....put it arrived squeaking with a misaligned tensioner or pulley....so I sold my 1964 Polar....... :(
I'll machine you up a set of chain sprockets.... No more squeal... Keep your 1964 Polara with a Hemi...

Well it depends. If you have plenty of money, buy it no problem. If you are young, perhaps a lesser car can be a place holder until you have enough dough. If you are over 60 and can some how swing it, well how much time do you really have left? Better get on it.

Congrats on your '64 !

Congrats on buying your dream car, sounds nice. Can I ask why it doesn't have front shocks on it?

Congrats on buying your dream car, sounds nice. Can I ask why it doesn't have front shocks on it?

I'm guessing coil overs and other aftermarket front goodies, probably the only way to make it work

Auto Transport Service
Back