• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to fix spilling gas when filling?

@RPMagoo Explain. Petroleum products are used to remove wax. --
-- A Friend of Mine has a 71 Challenger. He filled it, to the top, with gasoline, and let it sit, in the hot sun, for several hours. Apparently, the gas expanded and ran down the car. It curdled the paint. The paint was recently ( a few days) new. There was no wax on the car. Perhaps the new paint was the problem. ---

-- A Friend of Mine has a 71 Challenger. He filled it, to the top, with gasoline, and let it sit, in the hot sun, for several hours. Apparently, the gas expanded and ran down the car. It curdled the paint. The paint was recently ( a few days) new. There was no wax on the car. Perhaps the new paint was the problem. ---
Worked in the dry cleaning business and people would come in with candle wax on clothes etc.all worried it wouldn't come out. We'd remove any excess and clean it, gone.
Original owner of my 66 Satellite put a GTX cap without trim ring. Would splash gas out of fill tube until tank was 1/2 full if you accelerated hard. Paint was flat red when I got it where gas came out and ran down and back on quarter.

Paint not being totally cured would do that for one exception that I have first hand experience with.

My son and I had a custom paint shop, artwork ect. We painted a sport bike with all kinds of fairings, side pieces and cleared the artwork with a fuel resistant clear coat. Assembled the whole bike and when we started pouring gas into the tank, gas was leaking out from under it and running all over the lower fairing pieces. He grabbed a rag and I said don't touch it! We removed the tank as quick as we could and found out that the O-ring for the pitcock had dry rotted. Easy fix.

The spilled gas evaporated and there was no sign of damage. What a relief. The only thing we could figure was the fuel resistant clear saved it, even though it was only a day since we had shot the clear. House of Color sells it. We used it on all motorcycle gas tanks just for the added protection of the artwork and it definitely works.

I've seen paint and clear coat that was several years old that would yellow and be deteriorating if exposed to fuel periodically especially motorcycle gas tanks.

Every time I pump gas into my 66 Satellite the gas eventually spills down the side of the car. I'm trying to figure out how to fix this since I just had the car painted. Living in California we're stuck with these environmental friendly/ user unfriendly gas nozzles at the gas station. You have to push the nozzle against the filler hole to allow the gas to pump.
I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a device to safely pump gas without
spillage due to our old cars fuel filling set up.
I have a 67 Satellite, and yeah, it's a hassle. I do the same thing as RT6PK, run it by hand and twist the nozzle to the rear. Don't know of any real fixes for it, but if something reasonable comes along, may try it.

I'm Just thinking outside the box here but is it possible to buy a different gas tank or alter yours and put the filler behind the license plate? Keep the original fuel door for looks of course. Nobody would know the difference and no more ruined paint.

Try rotating the nozzle every which way, you'll find the best spot. I can remember doing some cars with nozzle 180* from a normal orientation.(years ago)

I'm Just thinking outside the box here but is it possible to buy a different gas tank or alter yours and put the filler behind the license plate? Keep the original fuel door for looks of course. Nobody would know the difference and no more ruined paint.
The fill tube would need to be in the trunk. Don't think you could run over half a tank of gas . Filling the tank as described earlier with nozzle to rear and pump slowly. Nothing wrong to think of out of the box!

Auto Transport Service
Back