• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to get Date of Manufacture from VIN? RS23L9E13642 (69 GTX)

Lineman

Local time
9:44 PM
Reaction score
This has taken a life of its own, the interior shade of F8 seems to be a 68 color they want to call 430 instead of the 434 which seems to be a 69 color. This car was built in Los Angles and I have no fender tag nor build sheet but some of the car is still original. Trying to keep the thing looking right... Any help appreciated.. Thanks Jay

That info isn't on the vin tag. It is on the fender tag though. Too bad you don't have that information.

That info isn't on the vin tag. It is on the fender tag though. Too bad you don't have that information.

yeah, you don't think that there might be something out there with sequence numbers from that assembly plant? They call it a sequence number and not just random digits?? Or somebody with a VIN close to mine that knows the Date of Manufacture could get me close would be helpful..

Well first the vin won't give you a production date but it might get you close....

But second the part of the vin that might get you close is the six digit sequence at the end of the vin... You only posted five digits....

Being LA 13642 assuming they are the first five numbers isn't super early, early yes but not so early I'd expect 68 components...

Might want to check this link to 69 interior colors @ Auto Color Library

https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/pages/1969-Plymouth.html#parentHorizontalTab2

yeah, you don't think that there might be something out there with sequence numbers from that assembly plant? They call it a sequence number and not just random digits?? Or somebody with a VIN close to mine that knows the Date of Manufacture could get me close would be helpful..

Slim chance.

IF the first five digits of the VIN are 13642, then the SPD would be approximately 128 or January 28, 1969.

The date on the K frame will get you within a week or so of SPD. Second, I would check the Glass and LCAs.
VIN will not give you a true SPD.
From there you can always reference additional original parts that are remaining for date codes. Heck, the original dash pad, backside of door panels, factory speaker, radio are all great references for dates.

Example, my K frame is 1209 1 - April 20, 69 1st shift
My glass is 1MAY69
LCA's 10th week (march 3-9,69)
with a SPD 426

IF the first five digits of the VIN are 13642, then the SPD would be approximately 128 or January 28, 1969.
Wouldn't the Julian Date and Serial Number sequence begin in September?

Wouldn't the Julian Date and Serial Number sequence begin in September?
I'm not sure I understand your question.

Yes but LA plant was a very low volume plant. VINs in the 9E136*** range don't appear from that plant until late January.

IF the VIN is in another range, then the OP needs to correct the post.

I'm not sure I understand your question.

Yes but LA plant was a very low volume plant. VINs in the 9E136*** range don't appear from that plant until late January.

IF the VIN is in another range, then the OP needs to correct the post.
Day number 128 would be about January 7.

Thanks for the dialogue, that discussion is what I was after.. I have the dash pad out of the car and I believe it to be original. How do I get a date off of it?

Thanks again.

THERE should be a stamped in colour date of manufacture
What can you make of this? Thanks

16048683020868887240075983568880.jpg

Looks like 60th day of 68
Thanks, so navigating without a fender tag or build sheet. The interior is F8 green but the 430 shade which is the 1968 shade of F8. The car seems to have been built maybe about January 69... I have been trying to really just figure out what was going on here.. thanks again.. Jay

Not really sure what that decodes,but if you check your engine block on pad by distrbutor n has a date n it will be close close to build date like within 1-4 days nif that fails your seat covers especially the upper fronts will have a stamp date if orginal

Thanks, so navigating without a fender tag or build sheet. The interior is F8 green but the 430 shade which is the 1968 shade of F8. The car seems to have been built maybe about January 69... I have been trying to really just figure out what was going on here.. thanks again.. Jay

Day 60 would put at Feb 28 of 68. That's data that you could put with another OEM part to hone in further.
You can definitely gather a timeline with more parts.
If your looking to match a color on the interior for a 50plus year old car, skip that and dye the parts you want to it match. Your creating a lot of extra anxiety for a whole lot of nothing. Well, unless you enjoy the self torment.

My dash pad is 109th day of 69 -April 9, 69
K frame is 1209 1 - April 20, 69 1st shift
glass is 1MAY69
LCA's 10th week (march 3-9,69)
with a SPD 426

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back