• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to get leverage on this shallow bolt head?

David Womby

Local time
10:20 PM
Reaction score
Not a B Body but I am trying to get a subframe off the main frame rails of my car. The subframe is butted onto plates at the front of the main frame rails and bolted in place.

Several bolts holding the crossmember to the frame have very shallow heads. See the lower bolt in the photo. I cannot get a socket or wrench to stay on the bolt when turning using a long bar or handle that is needed to apply enough force. Any suggestions, please????

crossmember bolts.jpg

I'd start by cleaning it all up.
Then try an impact gun, so you can concentrate on holding it with vertical pressure with no horizontal (levering) required.

Assuming you have already done the WD-40 /heat with a torch routine and it still won't budge, you could try a clamp to hold the socket down.
You could also try cutting a groove in the top with an angle grinder and use a screw driver on it. I've had luck getting stripped bolts out that way. That's a last resort obviously. (Or maybe 2nd to last)

Cutoff wheel on a grinder if it will fit. Not like you would want to reuse the old hardware if its all rusted up.

I'd start by cleaning it all up.
Then try an impact gun, so you can concentrate on holding it with vertical pressure with no horizontal (levering) required.
Yes I should and will clean it all up

My impact gun is electric and great but won't fit in space the bolt sits in. maybe a right angle air powered one will fit.

David

Cutoff wheel on a grinder if it will fit. Not like you would want to reuse the old hardware if its all rusted up.
I won't be able to get the grinder in the available space to get every bolt - there are 10 each side of the car. Some are really boxed in. I can't see how they managed to bolt it together!!!!!

David

Take a six point socket OR a six point combination wrench and grind the face back about a eighth of an inch
to get rid of the chamfer on the end. This should give you a good bite! Also, rusty bolts get smaller when
they rust, so try a Metric wrench and grind it back!

Take a six point socket OR a six point combination wrench and grind the face back about a eighth of an inch
to get rid of the chamfer on the end. This should give you a good bite! Also, rusty bolts get smaller when
Thank you. yes, once I've cleaned up that might help get a better grip with a socket.

David

If you've got enough room to get a ruler in and take a photo then you should have enough room to use a mini hacksaw and cut the head off the bolt or nut. It might be slow work but should get the result.
s-l1600.jpg

using one already
If you really want to get the socket onto the bolt, you can grind the face of the socket to remove the chamfer going into it. This will give you full contact with the bolt head (recommend using a socket you don't mind grinding on).

This! Do it to a cheap Harbor Freight type impact or regular socket.

I've realized that the more expensive wrenches and sockets, such as SnapOn have much less chamfer.

Weld a socket or a wrench on it

weld a nut on it........ weld inside the nut so you can get a tool on it.........the heat from the weld will also loosen it

Auto Transport Service
Back