• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to get leverage on this shallow bolt head?

See how ground this 1st pic as it was 2nd after. Grips to the base of bolt head. Hard to put on grabs better.
IMG_2049.JPG
IMG_2048.JPG

Not a B Body but I am trying to get a subframe off the main frame rails of my car. The subframe is butted onto plates at the front of the main frame rails and bolted in place.

Several bolts holding the crossmember to the frame have very shallow heads. See the lower bolt in the photo. I cannot get a socket or wrench to stay on the bolt when turning using a long bar or handle that is needed to apply enough force. Any suggestions, please????

View attachment 1411704

Cut, destroy, obliterate the fasteners with what ever you have on hand and replace them.
Air hammer with a chisel bit?

If you've got enough room to get a ruler in and take a photo then you should have enough room to use a mini hacksaw and cut the head off the bolt or nut. It might be slow work but should get the result.
The ones in the photo I posted would be possible this way. I'll bear it in mind.
If you really want to get the socket onto the bolt, you can grind the face of the socket to remove the chamfer going into it. This will give you full contact with the bolt head (recommend using a socket you don't mind grinding on).
Worth a try. Should help grip on the bolt head.
Weld a longer bolt on the end of your bolt and take them out. Wah- lah
I know it's pathetic but I am not a welder. Just a wrench type home mechanic.
This! Do it to a cheap Harbor Freight type impact or regular socket.

I've realized that the more expensive wrenches and sockets, such as SnapOn have much less chamfer.
Right. Thanks.
Weld a socket or a wrench on it
See above. Not capable of welding.
weld a nut on it........ weld inside the nut so you can get a tool on it.........the heat from the weld will also loosen it
I may try heat but can't weld.
See how ground this 1st pic as it was 2nd after. Grips to the base of bolt head. Hard to put on grabs better.
Yes, I see how that will help. I can't weld but I can grind :). I've taken a couple of bolt heads off in other places on this subframe that way.
Cut, destroy, obliterate the fasteners with what ever you have on hand and replace them.
Air hammer with a chisel bit?
Final fallback unless I can find a small nuclear device!!!!!

Thnaks again, everyone.

David

I bought the Irwin style kit from our supplier, that kit is really for rounded off nuts and bolts. Twice, I have had to use the kit, and in both cases, I have been happy with the result..

"flat" wench?

b7-c51d4f61e967_1.da5efd1e759d5975707d8c1005c6dfac.jpg

After a bit of effort I would be getting an oxy-acetylene cutting torch or a plasma cutter.

What is that bolt threaded into?

Another thing that might be helpful would be an induction bolt heater.
Screenshot_20230203-115936.png

Not a B Body but I am trying to get a subframe off the main frame rails of my car. The subframe is butted onto plates at the front of the main frame rails and bolted in place.

Several bolts holding the crossmember to the frame have very shallow heads. See the lower bolt in the photo. I cannot get a socket or wrench to stay on the bolt when turning using a long bar or handle that is needed to apply enough force. Any suggestions, please??

Several bolts holding the crossmember to the frame have very shallow heads. See the lower bolt in the photo. I cannot get a socket or wrench to stay on the bolt when turning using a long bar or handle that is needed to apply enough force. Any suggestions, please????

View attachment 1411704
PB Blast it multiple times a day for a few days if you’re not rushing it. Definitely 6 point wrenches.

I have used a Dremel with a flex snake extender shaft and a cut off blade it takes patience but it works!

Heat, penetrating oil, hammer blows all good starting points. Grinding the socket chamfer is also very helpful. Lastly, to steady the socket from slipping off you can wedge a pieces of wood or other material between the socket and (is it the floor pan?). Then be very cautious with the angle of the breaker bar when you pull on it. It doesn't look that bad to me. You'll get it!

Just an update. I need to remove 18 bolts in total. So far 12 have been loosed with the ground down impact socket and a long breaker bar. the rest will get another round of trying but look like they may need to be cut.

David

Meatloaf used to say 2 out of 3 aint bad.
Well 3 out of 4 is better.:thumbsup:

I can't say enough good things about continously soaking thread and bolt head with PB Blaster.
I can't either now. After a week of soaking, today I managed to get all the bolts loosened ready for removal. The ground-down socket was vital to success too. Thanks to all for the advice.

All this was to remove the front subframe. Hopefully that will be this week. I just need to disconnect the steering column and then get my transmission jack under it before taking out all the bolts.

Thanks again

David

Auto Transport Service
Back