• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How To Install Camshaft Bearings.

till you drop something on them:eek:

Great "how to" post. I think I might attempt cam bearing install on an old chev 350 engine I'm going to build.

Great "how to" post. I think I might attempt cam bearing install on an old chev 350 engine I'm going to build.

Install on those is a little different since all the camshaft journals are the same size. Still very simple. You just have to remove the tool end, put the arbor through the camshaft bores, reinstall the tool end and install the bearing. Since the bores are all the same diameter, the tool will not fit through the bores with the tool end and camshaft bearing installed. Just one more reason to go Mopar. If you run into any problems, shoot me a PM. I did machine work for quite a few years.

I've been doing this for a few years myself, and just like Rusty said, it's not rocket science. But you do have to pay attention! I can also say that listening to some Allman Bros or good blues music helps the installation process :sideways tongue:

I've been doing this for a few years myself, and just like Rusty said, it's not rocket science. But you do have to pay attention! I can also say that listening to some Allman Bros or good blues music helps the installation process :sideways tongue:

What he said. ^^^^^^

Damn good write up, and I like your avatar...alot!!

I have the exact same bearing tool. Bought mine from my Matco tool man as he got it for me. Ron

First;THANK YOU R3!!! Pictures good! Just checked Evilbay,and prices are all over the place. I think I'm just going to grab one at the low price and call it a day.

I am glad yall liked it. Maybe we should see if we can get Joey to make us some separate engine tech threads and just sticky them so they don't get lost. I got some more to go.

Ordered mine a little while ago. 147 and change to my door. Don't need it right now,but there's two blocks that could benefit in the near future. Right freakin' tool for the job!

I got my camshaft today and tried it in the block and it slid right in and I could turn it with one finger. It's an old NOS Lunati solid grind, part number 43712. They still make it but under a different part number.

.540/.563 261/271 @ .050 ground on a 108 LSA. LOL That oughtta make a stock stroke 383 hit a lick, ya reckon?

How many cam bearing sets have y'all installers done? Ever have a cam that was tight? A buddy of mine builds engines for a living and uses that same tool and has had a few tight cams over the years. I kinda thought maybe he got a hold of cams that were bent but they were all within .001" run out. I'm a machinist too and made my own cam tool and so far so good. I don't do as many as he has but so far so good. I've also heard that in some blocks, the cam bearing bores are not in perfect alignment but I've never run across that....

I did machine work for about 5 years. Yes, we used the same tool way back then and did on occasion have a cam that was a little tight. We always kept old cam cores to use as tools to cut some cam bearing material. We took a wix wheel and cut a diagonal notch in each cam journal and lubed up the old cam and installed it while turning it. The notches act like cutters and clearance the cam bearings just right. I had an old school machinist teach me that when I was a kid. It works well. As I said in the write up though, if you're careful and keep that cone tight against the block, your bearings will be straight and you'll not likely run into that problem.

I did machine work for about 5 years. Yes, we used the same tool way back then and did on occasion have a cam that was a little tight. We always kept old cam cores to use as tools to cut some cam bearing material. We took a wix wheel and cut a diagonal notch in each cam journal and lubed up the old cam and installed it while turning it. The notches act like cutters and clearance the cam bearings just right. I had an old school machinist teach me that when I was a kid. It works well. As I said in the write up though, if you're careful and keep that cone tight against the block, your bearings will be straight and you'll not likely run into that problem.
Yup, that's exactly what he does when he gets a tight cam.

Yup, that's exactly what he does when he gets a tight cam.

It works very well. Lemie tell you, I am a FIRM believer in the old school stuff. It worked well for a long time and still works well. Most everybody I grew up around learnin this stuff was 40 years older than I......like my parents. They had us late in life.......so that's what we got raised around.

How old are you? You don't look all that old....I know I feel older than 61 lol. It's got to the point to where my back pays me back for several days after I drop in a crank and the MRI pics tell the story. Guess I need to get a couple of light duty electric cranes for over my engine lathe and for the build room. Trying to load a crank into the lathe is even harder!

Auto Transport Service
Back