• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How To Install Camshaft Bearings.

I am 47...but I have been turning wrenches since 1974 when I was nine, so I have been at it a while. THere was a little Citgo station like a block from our house when I was a kid. Old guy put me to work pumpin gas and changin oil for 65 cents an hour. I thought I was da man. lol My parents and everybody around us were all about 40 years older then we were. My parents had us late in life. So I like old stuff probably more than I should. lol

You got me by a few years. I started at 12 hanging around sweeping the floors at a garage that was a block away from where I lived and being mostly in the way watching and trying to help the mechanics work lol. The place was a full service garage and did complete engine builds too but no transmission or rear end rebuilds. Had my dad found out, it would have been the end of it so I always parked my bicycle out in the back and tried to be more of an asset than a liability to the owner cause I wanted to learn. I guess it worked?

Wow. What a similar story. I had to do the same with my bike too. Mama wouldda kicked my butt. I was actually drivin the wrecker when I was 11 or 12. lol I had an uncle high up on the Macon Police Department that recognized me, pulled me over and told me he better not ever see me drivin again, or else he was gonna tell mama. I had a cookie truck on the back LMAO. That was the end of my wrecker drivin......for a while anyway. lol That was the 70s man. You could do anything.

A new thread could be started about how we got to where we are now lol. I was also a yard mowing fool back then and after getting tired of dragging my lawn mower behind my bike, I started stealing dad's 63 Dart. The car was a year old at the time and I guess he kept a good track of the mileage because it was only going a couple of blocks at a time lol. That was also the year I was getting into a lot of trouble around the neighborhood later in the summer and dad told me that next summer he was taking me to work with him. At the time, he was building houses and well, I started doing that at 14 and continued until Uncle Sam drafted my ***. Nothing like having your 20th birthday in basic training. I actually thought that I had missed it because of my 20th bd was very near but they proved me wrong....at least I was able to skirt the Army and made it into the AF instead.

That's cool. I have a 63 Dart 2 door post now. It's the car I am building my hot slant for. Yeah, I cut most every yard in the neighborhood too when I was a kid. You don't see kids doing that anymore.

It's amazing what you find out on this site. I just installed my camshaft , and guess what ? it's a little tight. Just like you Cranky and Rusty , I've been around this stuff since I was 14 , and I'm 55 now. Rebuilt my first motor for my Dads MG 1100 4cyl when I was 14. I merely told him I thought I could do It , and he says have at it. He gave me the FSM . I read through it and did the job. Just paid someone to do the machine work. Ive been assembling my own engines , transmissions and diffs for many years , but I never heard of the camshaft bore trick. Ive got my old shaft , and thats exactly what I'm gonna do. One question though . How deep do ya cut the slots and are they at 90deg to the camshaft? On a side note. Started my paid Automotve career at age 17. Went to work for an independant Auto Parts Store as a delivery boy for $1.75 an hour in 1974. Worked my way up to counterman and eventually store manager. In the 80's the partners splitt up and divided among them thier stores . 4 at the time. The Guy I ended up with was 25 yrs my senior and was looking for an exit plan. He sold me 25% of the store I was managing at the time, and taught me all the administration stuff. I paid him some cash and all of my bonuses every month. After about 8 yrs I learned it all but he was takin most of the money. Time to make another deal. He sold me his 75% and took alot of the note back himself. I went on to open 2 more stores in the 90's. We were flyin high!!.In the late 90's my wife started having trouble with brain tumors and profits were being cut by Warehouse Dist selling our customer base, cutting all the legit Parts Stores Throats. I attracted a buyer In Carquest for our small store chain. I sold out to them in 2001.They paid me for everything in our buildings and took my managers. But the old guys taught me to buy the real estate wherever I could. I kept all the real estate and have long term leases with Carquest to this date. So Obama DONT TELL ME I DIDNT BUILD THAT. Been retired since age 44 nutzin around in our shop at home , doin some resto stuff and reg repairs every now and then. Gotta get this Chicken done soon though. Sorry for the rant. Thanks for the camshaft trick !!!

I first installed cam bearings in 1974 in my high school auto shop. Been doing all my own since then.
I did have a problem with a tight cam in my latest eng (493) that I built 2 years ago. I could barely get it to turn as it even got hard to put in the last 1/2". I started removing the bearings one at a time until I found the one giving me trouble which was the #3 bearing. Aftre I removed it and put the others back in it turned fine. After inspecting the bearing I saw the trouble as it had about a 1/4" scratch on the back of it. Turns out there was a piece of metal flashing that had rolled over into the bearing hole and was behind the bearing shell raising it uo a tad which was enough to cause the problem. I removed it and honed the bearing bore slightly and then removed the high spot and the bearing and reinstalled it. Everything was and still is fine. It does make you mad when you run into a weird problem like this on your own eng but at least since it was mine I did not have a cust breathing down my neck to get it done. Ron

Yeah, I shouldda made note to make sure all the bores are clear and in good condition. Some things I just take for granted.

Thanks rob and great post, going shopping for new tools, LOL

Don't know if I said thanks for this thread but if not, Thanks!!

Don't know if I said thanks for this thread but if not, Thanks!!

same here !
thanks for your time answering my questions and jogging my memory a bit Rob. you tha man

Attachments

• rb1.jpg
    rb1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 385
  • rb2.jpg
    rb2.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 424
  • rb63.jpg
    rb63.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 443
Nice, I plan on getting one too and doing it myself. Nothing like doing it your self.

Auto Transport Service
Back