• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HP Manifolds vs TTI Headers ?

6pktgo

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:23 PM
Reaction score
1970 440 SIx Pack, nothing to crazy, on the dyno at 5500 rpm making 425 hp & 530 ft lbs of torque. I've always run original HP manifolds & factory H pipe, full exhaust. Is it worth it to install TTI headers ? Will it boost the horse power & if so by how much roughly ? Thanks in advance.

I removed TTIs from my 70 Superbee with the 426 Hemi in it.
Going to Original cast iron
Tired of all the hassle etc
But, Headers give you more power
I'm driving slow now

Yes, they will boost power.
How much? No one knows till you put em on. (Rough guess, 20hp. My opinion only)
Is it worth it? You have to decide.
Driver, not pretending to be a racecar, I would keep the manifolds.
Real six pack car? Hell no to headers!

Answers: 1) yes it is. 2) yes it will. This is very simple : Factory exhaust manifolds are good for an original numbers-matching car. Period. How much HP ? It depends on your particular combo. I've run 6-bbl since the early 70's to this day. I'll put this out there right now... anybody that says the factory Exh manifolds are better, does not know what they're talking about . Period. Convenience ? Bull, I can change plugs just as easy on a 440 with headers as well as manifolds. If you can't, you shouldn't be working on cars. And I can do so as easily now, just as I did back then. That's my take. You do what suits you best.

Whats more important to you? 30HP or burnt plug wires or hard to remove plugs.

IMG_4042.JPG

Biggest issue to me is replacing a starter with headers. I still have headers on on my cars however....

I’d love to see a true comparison. Headers vs HP manifolds full exhaust, turbo mufflers, tail pipes out the back. I’m sure headers will win but what’s the number? Even better would be on a chassis dyno so we can see numbers to the wheels.

I’d love to see a true comparison. Headers vs HP manifolds full exhaust, turbo mufflers, tail pipes out the back. I’m sure headers will win but what’s the number? Even better would be on a chassis dyno so we can see numbers to the wheels.
Even better than that is 1/4 mile times.

I believe the headers in the end would put out more HP but like everyone else said count how many burned up plug wires you get and the cost of replacing them. Is it really worth the HP gain? I guess to some yes. But to others the reliability wins hands down.

No burned plug wires here.
That's a problem for people that allow that to be a problem.

I do use mini starters, and not very often thankfully. Even a mini starter will not come out of my cars without at least loosening up the header for more clearance.

Get a mini-starter, it's not difficult at all. How often do you change starters ?

No burned plug wires here.
That's a problem for people that allow that to be a problem.
I have used thermal socks and other heat shield type crap. I guess its the luck of the draw. Both types failed but I guess some people have better luck.

depending on the headers and if they're ceramic coated or not, there's also the factor of under hood heat if that's a concern. If you do go headers, I'd spend the extra coin and buy the ceramic coated versions.

I had HP manifolds and they were fine. I switched to headers and debated pricey long tube TTI's or Schumacher tri-Y's. I went with the Tri-Y's. No seat of pants difference at all, but long tube headers should definitely make a difference. I also was surprised with my tri-Y's the exhaust note sound was deeper and less raspy with the HP manifolds. I liked the HP manifolds tone better. If I were to do it again, I would have went with long tube TTI's or kept the HP's. My tri-Y's are fine, but not the improvement I was expecting. I also found out as a first time header user, about the need to check and re-tighten header bolts often. Mine loosened up in less than 4000 miles and when I installed them I had tightened 3 times in between driving cycles in the first 200 miles. I never had that problem with HP manifolds. I've since installed header bolt locks to keep them from backing out (those were a pain to install as well.)

I also found out as a first time header user, about the need to check and re-tighten header bolts often. Mine loosened up in less than 4000 miles and when I installed them I had tightened 3 times in between driving cycles in the first 200 miles. I never had that problem with HP manifolds. I've since installed header bolt locks to keep them from backing out (those were a pain to install as well.)

If you run gaskets the bolts will need to be re-torqued.

The flanges were flat on my TTi's. I just used a thin smear of RTV, no gaskets.

With nothing to crush/lose crush, the bolts stay tight.

Auto Transport Service
Back