• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HP Manifolds vs TTI Headers ?

Ok, but what about changing the starter?
Small-block or big-block & the type of header are the factors, plus the advantage of the mini-starter. I can change my big-block mini-starter with ease. Now, I'd been working on cars for half a century, some things to me are relatively easy. I've worked on other makes & models that were horrendous, compared to these cars. Example: I'd cut and grinded 5/8 spark plug sockets to enable fit on certain GM cars, conventional tools wouldn't work.

Small-block or big-block & the type of header are the factors, plus the advantage of the mini-starter. I can change my big-block mini-starter with ease. Now, I'd been working on cars for half a century, some things to me are relatively easy. I've worked on other makes & models that were horrendous, compared to these cars. Example: I'd cut and grinded 5/8 spark plug sockets to enable fit on certain GM cars, conventional tools wouldn't work.
I had a 1990 LX Mustang notchback. I put headers on it. I had to grind a ratchet to get at the rear bolts on the headers. I think i still have that ratchet, but the not the ford :)

I had a 1990 LX Mustang notchback. I put headers on it. I had to grind a ratchet to get at the rear bolts on the headers. I think i still have that ratchet, but the not the ford :)
There ya go. But, I had to fabricate some tools to work on completely stock cars & engines ! Edit: years ago, a mechanic in the garage had a set of open end wrenches that he grinded the curves to fit in tight spots, left just enough meat to avoid snapping on a tight bolt.

Last edited:
No racing for me anymore and I like the look and sound of manifolds .If your racing or love the sound headers are better , manifolds make maintenance and drive ability easier .

I am going to be using HP manifolds on my Coronet, at least initially, because I kind of want the original look for now. I very well may change to headers in the future if I want more power. I mention that because I believe, like many others, that you can make more power with headers. That said, some of the issues that are brought up to support one or the other seem to bring up more questions for me. For instance,
Tests - The Nick's Garage video's (the few that I have seen anyway) show the tests being done on a completed engine. The numbers are impressively in the favor of headers as could be expected. I would like to know if the engine was built (cam choice for example) with one or the other system in mind. Would the numbers come out significantly different if the engine was built with cast iron manifolds and full exhaust in mind?
Heat - I've heard (read) both sides claim a less heat advantage. I would like to know when heat starts to have an adverse effect on the engine, and which of the two systems causes more or less negative impact. Is general under hood temperature the issue, or is it area specific (burnt wires, burnt valve cover paint, etc.)?
Weight - I know that the HP manifolds for my car weigh a lot. What do good, long tube headers weigh? Is the weight difference noticeable in a street or street/strip car?

I'm running coated Jegs headers ( 1 7/8")
20170513_001115.jpg
on my 69 B Body. No plug burn issues. All plugs are easily accessible. I'm using a mini starter and had no issues installing it with the motor and headers in the car. The headers were loose though. Stealth heads if anyone cares so no wet bolt holes

I would say the test would be more accurate for a street car if it was run with a full exhaust. The headers will still win, but I'll bet the numbers are a whole lot closer.

Mark

Tests - The Nick's Garage video's (the few that I have seen anyway) show the tests being done on a completed engine. The numbers are impressively in the favor of headers as could be expected. I would like to know if the engine was built (cam choice for example) with one or the other system in mind. Would the numbers come out significantly different if the engine was built with cast iron manifolds and full exhaust in mind?
Did you watch both videos? I think these are great examples that show what you are asking. On the closer to stock engine, i.e. about 400 hp, there was less than 20 hp difference between headers and manifolds. In the car with full exhaust probably less difference. Put in a tight LSA, big overlap cam, the difference will be considerably more.

Simply build the motor and pair it with the exhaust to match the intended goal

Last edited:
Did you watch both videos? I think these are great examples that show what you are asking. On the closer to stock engine, i.e. about 400 hp, there was less than 20 hp difference between headers and manifolds. In the car with full exhaust probably less difference. Put in a tight centerline big overlap cam, the difference will be considerably different.

Simply build the motor and pair it with the exhaust to match the intended goal
I watched them both and some other ones from the guys that did roadkill. Some of the results/details get crossed over in my memory. I intend to do as you said and match the exhaust and engine to my intended use. Right now, it is a driver that I will try to get what I can out of it using mostly stock parts, mainly because the car needs so much other work, and because I like stock looking engines. If I get to the point with this car where I want more power/speed, I will most likely end up running headers again.

Older thread, sorry…

I have the HP manifolds on my 440. I wouldn‘t mind getting the extra power with some shorty headers, but they would have to be something that bolts right in.
Does anyone know of a direct drop in shorty header replacement for the HP manifolds?

Older thread, sorry…

I have the HP manifolds on my 440. I wouldn‘t mind getting the extra power with some shorty headers, but they would have to be something that bolts right in.
Does anyone know of a direct drop in shorty header replacement for the HP manifolds?
TTi

Older thread, sorry…

No such thing.

Older thread, sorry…

Hp or full tube, shortys don't do much. My 2 cents.

Headers win period.
Fuel mileage, HP, torque, weight, nowhere is the manifolds better. If your having problems with your headers look in the mirror, there is your problem.

Schumacher tri-Y's drop right in. Seat of pants I couldn't tell a difference, but I have a bit more spark plug boot clearance.

Auto Transport Service
Back