• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

hydrauilc clutch in a b body

mick1967gtx

Local time
1:51 AM
Reaction score
has anyone here used a new hydrauil clutch set up and if so
what are the pros and cons,and how it mounts o the firewall

I never installed one but I drove an early A body with one and I didn't like it at all. The pedal action was too linear for me and the engagement point was right off the floor. I'm very picky about how my clutch works. Back in the 80's I could make an 833 shift like a 727.

I have thought of this to. Is there anyone that makes a kit to change over to a hydralic cltch setup? Or other ways to.

You can buy a hydraulic TO bearing. Very clever idea, and that's what my buddy had, but as I said above....

american powertrain, or mcleod make good kits i have an AP one in my 68 charger one of the best upgrades i put in.

- - - Updated - - -

its a master cylinder that uses original hole in firewall sits on an angle and bolts to pedal

hope it helps

i also have one with my tko o/d 5 speed, in my hemi coronet. bought it from kiesler with the tranny. they sell it as a kit. i wanted one standard car, the rest are auto o/d's. some years ago i smashed my left hip all to hell and was liking the idea of the hydraulics
due to pressure needed for use. it worked well for that and it made the conversion from auto 318 to standard hemi a lot easier. would i do it again, probably not. my reason was for my hip, but like meep said, it's definitely not the same.

some pic's; the white bottle on fire wall is the reservoir for the clutch.
hope it helps.

Attachments

• shifter pics and more 014.jpg
    shifter pics and more 014.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 261
  • hemi project #1 007.jpg
    hemi project #1 007.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 275
  • more recentcars 045.jpg
    more recentcars 045.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 250
  • it fired up 011.jpg
    it fired up 011.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 253
I had a hydraulic set-up in my 63 Fury. It has 2" TTIs and when converting from the A/T to a 4 speed, there wasn't room for a mechanical set-up. The hydraulic slave cylinder was OK but inconsistant, again, due to limited clearance around the bellhousing and throw out arm. I recently installed an American Powertrain hydraulic throw out bearing set-up. It works really well. Good feel, consistant release point and really cleans up the space around the bellhousing. I highly recommend it.

thats why i asked the question i want to convert my 67 gtx to a manual trans but with my headers and
new accuate exhaust i didnt want to cut it up to make it work. i called american power train
they have a complete kit and it uses hydraulics ,i dont have the room for the z bar with the headers.how
does the clutch master cylinder fit can you take a pic for me

Had this picture in my file. You can just see the clutch master cylinder to the right and behind the booster. If you need more, let me know. You can download the installation manual from their site.

Attachments

• DSCN1620.jpg
    DSCN1620.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 256
If you really don't want to go to all that trouble, but need clutch help, go with a diaphram preasure plate, get rid of the overcenter spring and enjoy life. I used a centerforce behind the Hemi and both of us are happy!

ill get you a pic tomorrow bud, good timing my engine is out of the car.

- - - Updated - - -

hey colorado what hole (in firewall) did you use for yours,
i used original clutch rod hole, it is a little low but thats why it has the angled bracket.

I never installed one but I drove an early A body with one and I didn't like it at all. The pedal action was too linear for me and the engagement point was right off the floor. I'm very picky about how my clutch works. Back in the 80's I could make an 833 shift like a 727.

Blasphemy. Only Ronnie Sox (RIP) could do that.

- - - Updated - - -

This is something I am thinking about with my rat truck. It will completely eliminate the need to fab up Z bar bracketry and whatnot. I think it'll be a lot easier.

definetly rusty, the hydramax from american powertrain, very similiar to mcled but i prefered the hydramax

definetly rusty, the hydramax from american powertrain, very similiar to mcled but i prefered the hydramax

Lawdy. My pocketbook ain't quite that big. I'll probably have to go McCleod out of necessity. lol That is, unless my fab skills suddenly pick up and I fab up some mechanical linkage.

Lawdy. My pocketbook ain't quite that big. I'll probably have to go McCleod out of necessity. lol That is, unless my fab skills suddenly pick up and I fab up some mechanical linkage.

now your talking, thats the rat rod way

I don't remember. Car had a 727 originally. Threw some more pictures in.

Attachments

• DSCN2276.jpg
    DSCN2276.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 208
  • DSCN2274.jpg
    DSCN2274.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 198
  • DSCN2273.jpg
    DSCN2273.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 208
  • DSCN2272.jpg
    DSCN2272.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 221
Dave, that looks like a real clean install. Almost outta sight.

- - - Updated - - -

now your talking, thats the rat rod way

That's probably how it's gonna have to be. I gotta tough time plunkin down 500 clams for somethin unless it's really serious. I gotta mig welder, so I'll figure it out.

Auto Transport Service
Back