• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hydro-boost questions (looking for data)

I think this whole process is moving in the right direction and would be doable for well under $1000.00. You have really helped take some of the mystery out of the booster set up. Thank you for your time and effort to post your information here for anyone else who wants to upgrade their brakes.
I am more than happy to do so because I want to know as well. I agree that one can put together a working HB system for well under ~$1000 however I will post a roll up of costs at some point. There is a lot of wiggle room in costing because you can use rubber lines over SS braided, get a HB unit from a salvage yard, do your own fabrication, etc.

The one issue that seems to be elusive is that of operating pressure, what I mean is that a stock Mopar box as found in a classic car is designed to operate at 800 or less PSI, however a HB unit typically needs more like 1200 - 1600 psi. So this has to be something that is addressed from the beginning. Like the rest of the issue, this aspect is a bit murky and the next thing I am going to delve into.

I am more than happy to do so because I want to know as well. I agree that one can put together a working HB system for well under ~$1000 however I will post a roll up of costs at some point. There is a lot of wiggle room in costing because you can use rubber lines over SS braided, get a HB unit from a salvage yard, do your own fabrication, etc.

The one issue that seems to be elusive is that of operating pressure, what I mean is that a stock Mopar box as found in a classic car is designed to operate at 800 or less PSI, however a HB unit typically needs more like 1200 - 1600 psi. So this has to be something that is addressed from the beginning. Like the rest of the issue, this aspect is a bit murky and the next thing I am going to delve into.

The operating pressure along with piston size seems to determine the final output pressure applied at the master cylinder. I think some experiment and appropriate pressure gauge would be a way to figure out how to manipulate the system and determine which booster will work for the car being upgraded. Different pressure for different boosters, but not a lot of physical difference.

I asked him about the prop valve issue and well as about the stock Saginaw PS pump and here is his responses

Prop valves only depend on the brakes you are using.

Stock Saginaw pumps are find and the flow valve is modifiable for more pressure using a Borgeson valve tool kit if you want to ramp up the PSI.

The guy sent me a link to his website which is not super functional in that he doesn't have a products tab or things for sale, however there is a lot of information and at the bottom of the page you can send him an email with your wants. He says he has a lot of Mopar boosters and can make up a kit and provide information as required.

I don't know this guy and I am certainly not getting anything out of this other than the discussion, so take that for what its worth. I will say that he has been very responsive in his messages. I ordered an adapter from him and he shipped it like an hour later.

So, for those who want to buy something from someone who seems to give a crap, this seems like your guy.

@Kern Dog you might want to reach out to him and go over what you have and how you had it installed, perhaps he can provide some suggestions, tips, advice?

Here's the link: Custom Power Brake - Hydraulic brake booster conversions for your brakes!

Auto Transport Service
Back