• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hyrdgoon's - project angrybird

Thanks guys, I don't think I've been on this site since some time in 2020. I tend to just follow a fee builds on social media and the bird progress stalled for a bit so didn't have much to report.

I look forward to getting back to some of your build threads and see where things are at!

I need to stop in to the Chassis shop this week and will post any updated pics if there has been progress.

I also ordered these stepped lip Forgeline wheels in 19 x 10.5 and 20 x 13. I'll run a 295 35 19 and 345 30 20 now that the mini tub is done.

Side note (and caution Ford related) we picked up a 21 Bronco Big Bend for my wife's daily and we both absolutely love it.

Screenshot_20211029-171126_Samsung Internet.jpg

That rear end torque arm looks really nice, can you share some more pictures? It's on my wishlist as future upgrade.

Goon ordered it but I thought he told me it was SD Concepts? Looking at it it looks like it does a better job of tying everything together than most and has a beefy looking girdle as well. My complaint would be that it doesn't come with the 440 main sizing, they sell it in the 383 size so it can be used on any of them, that means instead of a simple line hone it requires line boring then honing which adds cost. The shop had fun machining it because of the dissimilar metals too, cutting half cast iron and half aluminum makes your cut favor the softer of the 2 but it came out really well.
Some years back I helped a buddy build up a stroker based on a 400 block using aluminum main caps. When the block was finished align boring, it came back .003" out of round. I recommended using a different shop to start with because I knew a lot of work from this one came out not so good but my bud said it would fine and when the block came back with the mains out of round, he was going to start assemble and had to tell him no way. This engine had an Indy top end and pushed his 3600+ lbs brick 9.28 best with a small shot of the funny gas but it wasn't an easy build. Seemed nothing was built to fit Mopars back then. Even the dang valve covers had to have some mill work done other than making some clearance for the MSD distributor. Checked for distributor clearance after reading about them not clearing then had to more work because there wasn't room to put a wrench on the VC nuts! And the list goes on from there. Are things still like that these days?? This was back in 2005....

That rear end torque arm looks really nice, can you share some more pictures? It's on my wishlist as future upgrade.

I'll grab some more pictures next time I'm in the shop. I used a Speedtech arm and had the Chassis shop build to suit. Speedtech is just now designing a kit for B Bodies ( with a wicked pro touring Superbird project) If you're interested in a Torque Arm setup I would keep an eye out for that kit or reach out to Speedtech. They seem to do it better than anyone

Some update photos. New quarter panel, trunk floor, tail panel getting close and mini tubs in. Mocking up the inner fenders, closeout panel done and new rad fans and intercooler in place.

20220322_103123.jpg 20220405_161946.jpg 20220405_160716.jpg 20220405_160722.jpg 20220405_160733.jpg 20220322_102824.jpg 20220322_102935.jpg

new rad fans
Great project and I've been following it.
My bad experiences with 2 different cars, electric fans, has me determined to never have electric as my only fan. I know that's what my 2017 Caravan has, and I haven't had ANY problems on my Roadrunner since I switched to 2 SPAL pusher fans on the Roadrunner, BUT I have a mechanical compact (shallow) blade style flex fan on it too, just in case. Relying on solely an electric fan got me stuck 1 too many times.
20210411_145527.jpg

Agreed, great project. I love the front closeout panel. Aftermarket fans are too much load on the stock electrical systems. You need everything upgraded and even then, I’ll never be convinced of their superiority but to each their own. I run a stock 216 clutch fan and clutch. Simple yet effective.

Aftermarket fans are too much load on the stock electrical systems. You need everything upgraded
EDIT: I also have a high output (140 amp) alternator that is standard with the CVF Wraptor serpentine belt and accessories system.
As voltage drops below what an item requires to function, current will rise generating heat. That's one reason why I checked for voltage drops, but all points were w/in range.
I have all new, dedicated wiring, control modules, and relays for the electric fans, Dakota Digital RTX dash, and a couple of other things.
My problem(s) on the Roadrunner was having the electric TWO SPEED motor on a single 18" electric fan and shroud assembly, over 4 star rating online, and "the only brand I carry because I haven't had ANY problems from my customers" is what my vendor who sells all kinds of hot rod and aftermarket products and accessories and should know...Despite all of those assurances, I burned up THREE electric motors and I gave up. I installed the compact blade style flex fan, and TWO SPAL brand pusher fans, connected those 2 fans to the SAME relays and control modules I had the single 2 speed fan hooked to, and they have been FLAWLESS in their operation.
I have an electrical/mechanical background, discussed my situation with the fan manufacturer and he is knowledgeable, checked multiple points for voltage drops, and STILL had the 3 fan motors burn up.
I saw SPAL on 95% of the cars at a show, and it's probably the ONLY brand of electric fan I'll ever use now.

Last edited:
I'm agreed on SPAL fans only. I don't think I could squeeze a clutch fan in there if I tried with the massive 12 rib pulley for the belt driven hair dryer

I'm agreed on SPAL fans only. I don't think I could squeeze a clutch fan in there if I tried with the massive 12 rib pulley for the belt driven hair dryer
Understood, and again, your car is a great build. My mechanical fan isn't the factory clutch fan (that worked well) it's a "compact blade" style flex fan. The blades "look like" this:
Screenshot_20220407-192444_DuckDuckGo.jpg

They are shallow enough to fit, but still move some air.

On my Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins, I run a Spal 16” pusher on ac condenser for those times in town or waiting for the little one to get of school. I only use Spal fans, best in the business!

For the first few years my temperature would climb in stopped traffic, after switching to dual Spal's it's never climbed again. That was probably 4-5 years ago, not a bit of problems since. Come to think of it I think you suggested the Spal's?

Auto Transport Service
Back