• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I’m looking to do a 1973 Dodge Charge 318 / 440 swap.

walts333

Local time
4:23 AM
Reaction score
I am in the process of planning a 318/440 swap. I have read a lot about issues with the headers not installing easily however I have read that some suggest a big block K Frame swap is also required while other posts say it isn’t needed. Thoughts before I get too far into this project

I thought Schumacher had motor mount kits in the day and currently but I could be wrong

I did mine using factory big block engine mounts, with some spacers on the right side. It’s ok but I really don’t know if it’s quite right. I have to install the oil pump after the engine is installed. The headers have to go in before the engine.

This was With power steering and brakes. I’ve since changed them both to manual.

I picked up a set of Schumacher mounts I plan to try next time I have the engine out.

Big block K member is probably the best option.

I have done a 440 swap into a 318 73 Charger using Schumacher conversion mounts on the small block K frame. I'm not convinced that the engine is in the exact location a factory big block would be, but they are very well-made parts and get the job done. You have to make some cuts to the small block driver side K frame mount to use them, but it's much less work than a big block K frame swap.

A regular car pan like the 402 won't fit unless you trim the K member. I used the 30930 Milodon 7qt deep pan to clear the K member... but caution: It hangs down quite low. I used Hooker Competition headers. The headers had to be hammer-massaged to clear the power steering box and T-bars.

Auto Transport Service
Back