• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I don't want to go to work tomorrow.

It was actually a decent workday though not the most productive.
Help me out with this one:
Does it ever bother you when time passes on the job and you feel that you got little done?
It annoys me.
I hate inefficiency. I try to make every step count, every move. I like a well thought out plan, not spending a bunch of time waiting for approvals, standing around or flying by the seat of my pants.

Hey Kern, I hear you and agree. However, most of the guys I work with are either extremely lazy or decrepit or both. They will only do the absolute minimum on everything, if that. It's so if I do just one thing we are supposed to do, I look like a butt kisser for doing what we are being paid to do! It really takes the wind out of your sail so to speak. I like making things better and take a little pride in what I do and it eases my conscious so I could actually sleep better at night if we didn't rotate shifts!

Does it ever bother you when time passes on the job and you feel that you got little done?
It annoys me.
I hate inefficiency. I try to make every step count, every move. I like a well thought out plan, not spending a bunch of time waiting for approvals, standing around or flying by the seat of my pants.

In certain jobs in the Military, you would go bigtime bonkers when there's nothing to do. At times I liked that! I'm kinda the same way as you, I always had/have a sense of urgency when doing a job and wanting/getting it done. I wouldn't mind working now at 60, but with the crap I've been through, my heart just isn't in it to deal with Corporate America and the BS anymore.

It was actually a decent workday though not the most productive.
It annoys me.

Some of the jobs -in my work- require a crew that is on standby due to the unpredictable nature of the repair.
Knowing the scope and plan going in makes the standby time easier to endure.

Hey Kern, I hear you and agree. However, most of the guys I work with are either extremely lazy or decrepit or both. They will only do the absolute minimum on everything, if that. It's so if I do just one thing we are supposed to do, I look like a butt kisser for doing what we are being paid to do! It really takes the wind out of your sail so to speak. I like making things better and take a little pride in what I do and it eases my conscious so I could actually sleep better at night if we didn't rotate shifts!
For all of the bashing that some people give to people like ME that are in a "Union", almost all of the guys in this company earn their way.
Sure, you sometimes have to hire some idiots just to have warm bodies on the job but we are not the stereotypical Union worker leaning on a shovel, taking 3 hour lunch breaks, standing around talking, sleeping in the truck, etc.

For all of the bashing that some people give to people like ME that are in a "Union", almost all of the guys in this company earn their way.
Sure, you sometimes have to hire some idiots just to have warm bodies on the job but we are not the stereotypical Union worker leaning on a shovel, taking 3 hour lunch breaks, standing around talking, sleeping in the truck, etc.

I was in several unions way back when and in supervision as well. Because I came from the union when in middle management, we all got along great. In my case I felt blessed to be where I was because I didn't have to go to all the upper management bullshit nor the union bullshit either. I was an island by myself! With my own office and flex-hours to boot! Damn, I wish that job lasted longer! LOL
:lol:

Your work ethic is admirable sir!
Thank You. When i was in my later fifties i could taste retirement i wanted it so bad.
I had this fantasy i thought would come true, that i would sell my house and move to a more rural area. Build a modest sized garage and have a good sized garden.
Without going into details it didn't happen.

I hadn't planed to retire at 62 but things happened and one day in early January i went up to personnel and asked when i could retire, the lady did the figures and told me tomorrow and that next day i walked into work, cleared out my stuff and left.
The next day was cold and gray, i got up went to the gym, bought a daily paper and was home by 8.
All i can tell you who are close to that age is dont wish your life away. Its nice to be retired but unless you have a plan its not cracked up to what its suppose to be. If your like me, you still need to keep your hand in the game, just maybe not full time.

Life is short - bail when you can. Unless you need the money. Enjoy your life while you’re reasonably young and healthy. It can change in a heartbeat - literally. Ask me how I know....
"Hey Lloyd!"
"What?"
"How come you only come in 4 days a week!?"
"Cause I haven't figured out how to make it on 3 yet!!"

I hear you all bitch, but It sounds great that you ALL have great hobbies! I have worked with people
that came into work early on second shift because the didn't have a life. Glad I'm not THAT guy!
I loved my job, but when I punched the time clock, I "flipped the switch".

Hats off to all of you brothers and sisters that 'do what you gotta do!'

Well i didn't notice anyone bashing you, maybe breaking balls.
Most all union trades workers earn there keep. Most all journey men union workers ( you) are the best and highly skilled.
The days of a job calling for a hundred men and the union putting 25 more deadbeats or no shows have been long past.
Ive been around jobs using union tradespeople and I've never seen anything but guys busting there ***, but then again you'd have to actually be there, then some ignorant assbite typing crap on a computer. ( not you of course greg)

That I can definitely agree on, as soon as you start saying "I'm to old for that" you start the decline.
True but you have to know your limitations. For example, not that longs ago i could walk a beam, i had great balance, i could climb, work in very confined spaces. I also had little fear. At almost 67 those things have changed so you now pass the torch to the younger guy and thats the way its suppose to be.
I had a guy around 26, been in the trade since a teen. Asked me how'd i made a difficult weld i just completed and what he was doing wrong as he couldn't do it and i had to bail him out. I told him what he was doing wrong, explained a few things and told him more practice.
Theres a heck of a lot satisfaction in helping out a younger guy who wants to learn and improve himself

I'm not a trades person but respect all of you . How would anything ever get built ,fixed , assembled without .
I've had many jobs when younger everything from drywaller , machinist , wanted to be a mechanic but eventually wound up as a spec salesperson selling everything electrical from automation to high voltage . My education was in college for business marketing .
What I don't ever like hearing is its not my job .

So, we got a few "union" boys on the board, you got your union cards?

I joined the millwright union in 1976 and went through a four-year apprenticeship training period.
Today I am essentially retired but still, pay monthly dues out of support for the high-class training and support I got through the years.
The word "Union" has come to mean many things depending on the conversation. There are many unions. One is not like another just because of the term"union".

The only negative I have for all my working years in a union--is the subtle push for me to vote democrat. I chose to do my chosen work and voted as I pleased.
BTW I passed a million dollars in earned wages about ten years ago and now receive a fat pension based on hours worked.

What troubles me more these days is the derogatory connotation for being "an old white guy". :eek:

Last edited:
I was never in a union but did get a job a UPS slingin boxes on the sort belt for awhile. I was a proby before I could join the union, and where I stood on the belt there was this piece of metal that dug a big *** burse on my thigh from leaning on it hard for 4-5 hours a day. Reported it to safety and showed them the burse, they laughed at me and said get to work. I said FTBS and quit. I have no use for unions and think they've overserved their purpose for the American worker. But that's just my opinion.

So now it's working tunes now eh?

Dont get me wrong my job is great, I cruise around in UTVs, fix stuff, BS with the boys, get paid to workout and all sorts of other happy ****. Sucks driving in and out of a city. Being at a college workout facility has certain perks that most wouldn't get to experience :thumbsup: oh and a pension is cool too:lol:

Went out and feed the dog. Put the ice/snow chains on the truck. Made it out the drive and to the main road. Cold as all get out. Returned and parked the truck. Real feel today was 15 F. To cold to be putting chains on and taking them off just to get some where. There is always tomorrow.

Auto Transport Service
Back