• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I found my rear axle noise

dvw

Local time
5:34 AM
Reaction score
Last time out I could hear a click, click, click coasting into the staging lanes. This is not the first time. Pulled the cover. Zero back lash. Popped it all apart. Fluid looked good. Spool has zero runout. Bearings look good. Still had preload. But ah, the pro gear pinion. Not so good. All cleaned up. Going back to 4.10 from the 4.30. Standard Motive gear this time. Previously it has lasted the longest (425 passes). Also opening up the back lash to .012". We'll see how it works.
Doug

20221122_135052.jpg

20221122_180849(0).jpg

You're really finding a few things just before they did some real damage! Someone's looking over you.

You shouldn't be so hard on that car! :lol:

What’s the next step up from a Dana 60?

Would that be caused by the monster torque, or is it a case of "they just *don't* make em like they use to"? Maybe a combo of both?? I figure it would take one heck of a hammer blow or incredible torque to start to pull a tooth out from the root like that, (edit) let alone three in a row!

:lol:

Last edited:
Would that be caused by the monster torque, or is it a case of "they just make em like they use to"? Maybe a combo of both?? I figure it would take one heck of a hammer blow or incredible torque to start to pull a tooth out from the root like that!
"A" tooth? It looks like at least three about to "adios" to me.

Wow, just one more pass and you would have had considerably more damage! Good job paying attention to odd sounds.

This not the first time. It lost a entire tooth on a 9.10 pass (pics below). Pinion ws cracked in the same area. It also bent some pinion teeth on another set. I'm going to try opening the backlash up to .012" which has been recomended bymore than a few peoplle.
Doug

20181202_112041.jpg

20181202_112018.jpg

900+ HP sure tears things up !

Doug why increase backlash? I've no expertise so just my thought. Increasing the backlash won't it move the pattern toward top of tooth, putting more force on base of tooth? Increasing backlash would seem to allow under the right conditions the pinion to slap the ring harder because of the extra backlash?
Set me straight! Thanks

According to what I've been able to decipher. The teeth flex. It allows them room to flex. Many along inc;uding Strange tech suggested more back lash. Pattern "precision" seems to be based on correct pinion depth more than B/L. In this case gear noise is not an issue.
Doug

Good catch! I'd get away from a pro-gear (if that's what you're using) and go to a more hardened street gear. I had the same issue some years ago.

Chuck (snook)

According to what I've been able to decipher. The teeth flex. It allows them room to flex. Many along inc;uding Strange tech suggested more back lash. Pattern "precision" seems to be based on correct pinion depth more than B/L. In this case gear noise is not an issue.
Doug
Is the housing ok? How's the angle from pinion to ring?

I believe the housing is good. Pattern always comes in nice. Are the tubes still dead staight? They were when it was built. Drives good and goes dead straight on long wheelies so my bet is it's close.
Doug

Doug
Well that answers the question I was just getting ready to ask, good to know if I ever get the coronet up to similar monster power levels.

Auto Transport Service
Back