• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I got stung by a bee this weekend...

Vonzy797

Local time
1:56 PM
Reaction score
Hi, all.
New here -Just got a new to me 68 Super Bee. Brought it home last night. Complete car -Runs and drives - no brakes. (worn out drums all around).
Bee Trying to see if it has the Original 383 in it. Ive read all the posts... on this. My Vin # is (Dash) WM21H8G224038
My Fender tag is WM21 62 3 46 422 - 395780
Ive read that on 68's these don't necessarily have to match. Ive ran all the numbers and know what the car came with...
My matching numbers engine block numbers should be on the back of the engine on top. I cannot see anything.
What I can see:
By the distributor : E383 292 (I do not see "HP" anywhere)Although - "68" is cast all over the block.
On the pad by the pass. motor mount : PK21G9D6 165436
(If it was the original engine - this should be blank im guessing...) Any body else run into this?
I wouldn't necessarily care but the previous owner claims it has the original engine....

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 339
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 336
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 348
Hmmm PK21G9 is a 1979 2 door sedan police car 318......??????

hominhomiahomina.....whut?

Welcome Vonzy! That bee a nice Bee.

There are plenty on here that can help.

The pad on the front of your block next to the distributor that gives you your engine info...yours is E383 292 ? which is a '69 383. "E" is '69 The last three are the date.

The serial # should be located just below the starter cut out on the pan rail...

Get us a pic of your engine....

Hi Vonzy797, welcome from up north! Nice looking Bee, I like the white interior. Should be a fun summer car.

-=Photon440=-

Welcome aboard. Love super bees of all years.

Great looking car! Welcome.

I get '69 Fury 383 Police from the stamp by your motor mount.
Def. check the pan rail by the starter to be sure.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

2468130-11
LL

This is cast in. There Is also a date code 7-5-68 near that (plate screwed to the block)

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]2468130[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Chrysler - Dodge - Plymouth[/FONT] [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]B[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]59-71 383[/FONT]

I can't find any stampings near the starter... If I am reading correctly... you would have to remove the oil pan to read it?

Either way the stamping by the pass motor mount is off and I cant figure out what the PK21G9D means...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks - that's interesting... does the pan need to be removed to check what you mean? Motor is in the car. I don't see any stampings by the starter... I looked for a while...

- - - Updated - - -

Does any one else have a Vin tag on the dash that doesn't match the fender tag? (I only mean serial #'s, It kicks off with WM21 on both. And both tags call for a 383 4 barrel...

No, you do not have to remove the pan. It's near the bottom of the block, close to where the pan bolts on. (The starter might be blocking your view from above. Look up from below maybe.) Outer surface, very flat surface with "stamped" numbers. Not "casted" numbers. Now on the right side (passenger) there are "casted" numbers. You can identity your block by them also. It's been awhile, I'm into the older cars. 1968 and up are different than the 1967 and earlier. Hold a light at an angle across the numbers to get a more detailed profile of them. It's easy to mistake a "9" for a "3" for example. Clean area real good. Some of your numbers are questionable...

68 dash vin does not match fender tag or body stampings,, NOT ALL 68 engine blocks are stamped with the vin. as kryslerkid said your engine is out of a 69 car, e383 is for 69,d383 would be 68.

"I got stung by a bee this weekend..."

Just don't use an EpiPen, you'll end up with a Camaro...:steering:

68 dash vin does not match fender tag or body stampings,, NOT ALL 68 engine blocks are stamped with the vin. as kryslerkid said your engine is out of a 69 car, e383 is for 69,d383 would be 68.

correct !!!:icon_thumright:

Welcome. There isn't much in the life of a MOPAR guy that is more exciting than bringing a new ride home. Cool Bee.

Welcome from an Okie. BTW, nice car. I have all the front and rear drum brake hardware off my Coronet R/T, spindles, bearings, shoes, drums, small parts, etc. Its all in working order if you want it you can have it for $0. I upgraded to disc and need to get it out of the garage. I'm just 3 hours north from you. Send me a PM if interested.

Great looking car! Welcome.

I get '69 Fury 383 Police from the stamp by your motor mount.
Def. check the pan rail by the starter to be sure.

I just verified this... I think with allpar.com. This explains a lot - although it has cast numbers for 68 it is too late to have been put in my bee. (early 68)
Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently it IS a 69 383 2barrel setup from a Fury Police car...
A friend came over yesterday and asked me why this thing still has the stock manifolds yet the big upgraded intake. If they were shooting for performance why didn't they put headers on it? Now I figure Because they were just getting rid of the crappy 2 hole intake.

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 212
welcome to FBBO, nice 68 Super Bee project

welcome, great to see another '68 Bee. I've read recently where the factory HP manifolds are as good as headers.

Auto Transport Service
Back