• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Just Can't Win - ACC Carpet Fail

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
12:24 AM
Reaction score
The paint shop ruined my new carpet. It had ground in mud, dirt and shop dust in it and they soaked it and let it sit while mold and mildew grew on it. Of course, they're blaming me for the cause.

So, I ordered new carpet to replace it. Today I just received my new carpet from ACC/RockAuto. The console kit looks great. The floor kit not so great. The jute backing was glued down with several large wrinkles which should have been noticeable to Mr. Magoo. I guess this is what "custom molded" means.

I started the return process just now.

ACC is made in America. I'm really discouraged by the lack of quality in American workers.

1-IMG_0001.JPG 2-IMG_0002.JPG 3-IMG_0003.JPG 4-IMG_0004.JPG 5-IMG_0005.JPG 6-IMG_0006.JPG 7-IMG_0007.JPG 8-IMG_0008.JPG

I had issues with the "molded" portion on the rear portion of my ACC set. Which was purchased directly from ACC.....Simple thing in manufacturing called "quality control" should have caught those and your issues....

I've had multiple ACC carpet sets for 71-74 that had a huge sag in the driver's side trans hump area.

It almost looks like they tried to split the difference between auto and manual trans shapes so they only had to make one.

For the OP, I'd have been tempted to simply cut the excess out with a razor.
(after verifying it actually fit, first)

If they send you a new one it will probably have the same issues.

I had issues with the "molded" portion on the rear portion of my ACC set. Which was purchased directly from ACC.....Simple thing in manufacturing called "quality control" should have caught those and your issues....
Mine was jacked up there, too. But the min reason for the return was the wrinkled jute.

I've had multiple ACC carpet sets for 71-74 that had a huge sag in the driver's side trans hump area.

It almost looks like they tried to split the difference between auto and manual trans shapes so they only had to make one.

I'm tired of paying top dollar for stuff I have to fix first then install. It's too much work for me and I ain't in no hurry.

I believe you are correct about one size fits all. I see a cut out for the 4 speed in the jute backing.

1-IMG_0009.JPG 2-IMG_0010.JPG

Prime example as you just stated.....Mine was no matter because I ripped off the new jute and glued original factory jute...As you can see the same issues with the jute attachment...

IMG_0692.JPG

Hmm, that gives me an idea. It looks like the process they use of steaming the carpet in the mold after gluing the jute on is causing the wrinkles.

I think I'll call them and see if I can get them to send the replacement with the jute not glued to the carpet.

Have you checked out ECS's molded carpet? I havent seen any examples of his stuff yet in person, but everything else they sell is top notch so I imagine the carpet is too.

I used an ACC carpet for my 70 RR. I got it with the heavy mass backing, which is rubber attached to the jute. I had no problems and it was an excellent fit. The mold for the 4 speed hump was spot on. Maybe they have to pay more attention to the process when having to glue on the extra rubber backing. I used that instead of going the Dynamat route for sound and heat insulation. It worked well enough for me. I'm half deaf anyhow and like to hear the roar of the engine to boot !!!!

Have you checked out ECS's molded carpet? I havent seen any examples of his stuff yet in person, but everything else they sell is top notch so I imagine the carpet is too.
His carpet is from ACC....and is shipped flat. I bet Tom inspects what they get from ACC before they ship it out.....Those examples above wouldn't fly with ECS....

Hmm, that gives me an idea. It looks like the process they use of steaming the carpet in the mold after gluing the jute on is causing the wrinkles.

I think I'll call them and see if I can get them to send the replacement with the jute not glued to the carpet.
I called and spoke with a customer service rep named Michelle. She was very nice and helpful. First, let me clear up something said earlier by me about the one size fits all. They use the same pattern of jute for automatic and 4 speed humps but they mold them differently depending on the car.

I sent the photos to Michelle with a few more I took (ROckAuto only let me send 4). She is going to call RockAuto and see if they will allow ACC to ship the carpet with the jute unattached. That way I can check fitment with and without it since I have Fatmat and Tru-Max Super Insulator Mat installed.

Justin, I too have the crooked back seat section molded into my carpet. I told Michelle at ACC you had the same issue with your carpet. She will show the photos to their production manager on Monday. The scale is to show how crooked the molded carpet is.

IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0013.JPG

That rear seat section is supposed to be straight like the one depicted in their photo.

carpet_20171201_01.jpg

Justin, I too have the crooked back seat section molded into my carpet. I told Michelle at ACC you had the same issue with your carpet. She will show the photos to their production manager on Monday. The scale is to show how crooked the molded carpet is.

View attachment 545520 View attachment 545521 View attachment 545522
Keep in mind you have not even fitted the carpet up...That will straighten out when you fit in in place over the trans tunnel and in the floor pans...Mine is straight in the car...That was one reason why I glued it..

I'm sure it will be straight if I glue it. The one pictured is straight just sitting on a table. Must be the first one out of the mold and they got sloppy afterwards.

I was happy with the kit I bought a few years back, but not so much with the latest one. The other one seemed to fit the contours of the front floor pan much better, but this one has spots where the carpet is bubbled up a bit. I cut off all the jute backing because I was using an under carpet padding from DEI. I'm going to order another carpet kit directly from ACC instead of Rock Auto... you can order it without the padding directly from ACC, Rock Auto you get a better price but you get the padding.

DEI-18.jpg

I replaced my carpet in my Belvedere this year. Purchased it from classic industries. No wrinkles in the jute, installed easy. Took 5 weeks for delivery.

IMG_2135.JPG

I know that we all like to save money, and there is no reason for poor quality control. But there are different levels of inspection in all areas of manufacturing. I know that we have a personal rep that comes out from ACC and visits us at our facility and at the shows. That is one reason that I suggest that the cheapest is not always the best alternative. It can be very difficult and time consuming dealing with corporate giants.
The carpet that Dave gets for his ECS business is the standard ACC carpet, but special attention is given to insure that the heel pads are correctly placed, edges cut and sewn squarely, etc. And he also has special jigs constructed basically of an B or E-Body floor pan so that they can be stacked for transport back to his facility.
Michelle will hopefully get things in place for you.

Auto Transport Service
Back