• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I love chrysler

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:46 AM
Reaction score
Today we installed another brand new glen-ray radiator after ruining the first one with a broken NOS fan clutch that
i paid a lot of money for. We also installed a new edelbrock high performance 180°F thermostat together with a new felpro gasket.
Before that we already installed a new reproduction cooling fan, reproduction fan shroud (was missing when i got the car), gates water pump & hayden fan clutch.
After all this we finally filled the system with a 50:50 mix of Glysantin G48 (HOAT) and destilled water.
Sometime in between all this we flushed the cooling system with a water gun & air compressor setup. (No cleaner was used, just water)

We basically replaced and cleaned the whole cooling system.

Result:
Car runs at ~ 180°F more or less all the time. No matter if idling (including idling for longer periods of time) or driving at today's 86°F outside temp.
No more fan touching the radiator aswell. Car drives/pulls very good no complaints on the drivetrain.

This took a lot of time, effort and unfortunately money but it finally paid of.
There are still a few things that need to be fixed but the cooling system ain't one of them anymore.
As of today i think we're on the right way. :)

image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

I was going to joke about blowing a frost plug behind a motor mount, then I thought naw, bad jube-jube..

Good work

Great, well engineered cars. Unfortunately sometimes we have to overcome decades of previous hack jobs to get them back to where they were designed to be.

So what ended up being the main problem?

So what ended up being the main problem?

Aftermarket radiator, missing fan shroud, broken fan clutch, leaking water pump & the old thermostat looked to be more restrictive in flow than stock + wrong opening temp.

In short: A LOT!

But if you mean't the reason for the fan touching the radiator:
It really looks like i had 3 bad fan clutches (including the one the car came with) until i finally bought the hayden product.

Edit:

I'm not 100% sure if the old engine mounts are good or bad but they "look" fine. (See one of my other threads)

Aftermarket radiator, missing fan shroud, broken fan clutch, leaking water pump & the old thermostat looked to be more restrictive in flow than stock + wrong opening temp.

It really looks like i had 3 bad fan clutches (including the one the car came with) until i finally bought the hayden product.

Edit:

I'm not 100% sure if the old engine mounts are good or bad but they "look" fine. (See one of my other threads)
Glad you got her fixed !
I think your old mounts looked good so I would keep them as an emergency backup.

Edit:

Yeah, I was wondering what caused the fan to hit your new Glen Ray radiator.

Glad you got her fixed !
I think your old mounts looked good so I would keep them as an emergency backup.

Yes but it looks like the "clunk" that i thought was coming from the transmission when shifting is way less now after changing them.
It could've been the engine going up and down instead.
I plan on also replacing the transmission mount when i finally get to replacing my mufflers. But i'm trying to find a place with a lift or service pit for that job.
I also want to take a look at the dash lights (currently not working) and brakes (pulling to one side) first.

Today i noticed the speedometer bouncing around (up and down) directly after braking.
I hope that's just a loose speedometer cable or something.

When I was installing the fan in the Road Runner I couldn't use a standard clutch fan for some reason they made it too close to the radiator. I had to use a Jaguar clutch for the correct fit. Its very short. 383/727 stock engine mounts. The only thing that I can figure is that since the car has a 22 inch fan opening and someone put a 26 inch fan in there out of a C body. That might have been the difference.

Sounds like your on track now.
91DBBDAE-E43A-4AF7-B4A4-BE88A181315E.gif

My rule of thumb - the radiator is more dirty and clogged than you think.

Auto Transport Service
Back