• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need a welding machine

how much money do have for a budget on a mig welder

$1000 for everything.

What type of welding
did you do at work?

Stick welding at the steel mill years ago. Just brackets and small stuff. We had profesional welders for good welding. Then a MIG machine at my last employer. MIG is the way to go for a home shop. Even a hack like me can make a good enough weld using shielded gas MIG.

I decided on this machine from HF for $750, and a good welding shield from Vern Lewis with a cheater plate that slides in, that was $170.

Still need a cart and a gas bottle. I can keep going on my bucket seat frame repairs now at least using the flux wire till I get a gas bottle. Dont have to wait for a friend to be available anymore.

63617_i.jpg

61on6Wpa61L._SL1280_.jpg

My only thoughts are can you get consumable parts and parts in general. At some point you will need a new cable liner. A cable liner is a part that wears out. If then drive gears and rollers are dirty that dirt will go into the liner and its junk after that. The smaller machines are generally cheaply made with plastic parts. The gun can also be broken easily with these machines so you have to be careful with them

When I was looking, I had a certain budget. Didn't want to go over $1,000. Then on Craigslist I found a vintage Millermatic 35. It was in good condition from a school shop class, so it never had high hours from production welding. The shop teacher explained that the class had a budget for a new welder, and if he didn't use it, he'd lose it. So the old machine had to go. It cost me $300.
Mine looks just like this one. It's pretty heavy. Runs on 220V.
View attachment 721570
Great Machine! They dont build them like that anymore

I have Miller 135 (110V) that I bought used for $75.00 that needed new hoses and gun. I have had this one for over 35 years and works flawless for sheet metal and up to 1/4".
I also have Miller 250 (220V) that was given to me. Cost me about $230.00 to get it up and running. Use this one for anything over 1/4" thick and this one is now over 25 years old. Miller brands works great for me.

I have used the Vulcan welder for a few small jobs, some broken seat springs welded back together. Still have the flux core wire in it, getting a gas cylinder today. Even with the flux wire it did a really nice job for me.

Next I have a job to do on a steel part, a steering column interlock. I need to add some metel to it where someone ground it down a little too far.

I will fix the part, or I will destroy it, lol. We will see.

Yeah, the big brands build their machines right! I have a Miller Synchrowave 250 and it was a rental
unit. Refurbished by Redi-Arc in Chicago. I'll never wear it out. It's just so nice to have the Horsepower
when you need it! (Know what I mean?)

Yeah, the big brands build their machines right! I have a Miller Synchrowave 250 and it was a rental
unit. Refurbished by Redi-Arc in Chicago. I'll never wear it out. It's just so nice to have the Horsepower
when you need it! (Know what I mean?)

According to the Church of the Subgenius:
Too much is always better than not enough

Like we used to say back at the mill...

Bigger is better in everything but women

Congrats on the Vulcan! I'm thrilled with my unit I finally got my gas refilled and have been welding like crazy ! Don't worry about what people are saying about having to replace the stinger eventually,you got to do that on all of them there cheap enough ! I was torn between the unit you bought and the 220 I bought ,I really wanted to learn Tig so I figured I'm not buying a welder again in many years why not . Let me know how yours works !
Does yours have the digital screen ? I kinda like it but miss my old welder this one does everything for you .

Oh one more thing make sure when you buy your helmet it has a replaceable battery for the auto tint ! I bought a helmet once that you couldn't replace the battery thing was junk after a year ! If yours doesn't have one I'd return it and tell them it doesn't work and buy a better helmet

Here's my Lincoln rigs. takes care of any task I need in the shop.

Welder.jpg

Just bought the Hobart 210 MVP with the spool gun! $995 dual voltage. So far its been a great machine! The spool gun looks identical to the Miller.

MVP210.jpg

Might as well slip my new welder in here as well. Mig, Tig, Stick, 110v or 240v. Love it!
20200926_125213.jpg
20200924_170318.jpg

Another option is try to get in with a local Estate sales company. You can often find good stuff at them. I found my gently used Millermatic 185 on the cart with everything to weld solid core except the tank for $225. The new tank, filled, was $195 from a local welding supplier. Good luck!

upload_2021-1-9_9-51-10.png

I have the Hobart 140. Great Welder. Easy to get parts. Cant beat it for the money. I bought it a few years ago. And this is the first time I welded since HS. Which was the Eighties. It's great to learn or re-learn on.

Since this thread has come back to life I will give a report on the $750 Vulcan Migmax 215 from HF.

I have gone through 2 1/2 bottles of gas so far. They are the small bottles. I find myself pulling that welder out much more than I thought I would need to. Installed a full exhaust myself, cut trimmed and welded back up the pipes and it came out great. Repaired a broken iron gate. Little things that need a tack here and there. Cracked brackets, closing up holes, you name it. Having a welder in the shop makes it a shop not just a garage. My advice to anyone is get yourself a welder. You wont know how you got by without it.

I also bought the Hobart 140. I had no experience welding, but after watching some videos I gave it a shot. Easy machine to work with, even if it’s not the most adjustable.

I had a welder buddy come by and weld up parts of the frame that I wasn’t confident enough to do myself and he was really impressed with it.

I also bought the Hobart 140. I had no experience welding, but after watching some videos I gave it a shot. Easy machine to work with, even if it’s not the most adjustable.

I had a welder buddy come by and weld up parts of the frame that I wasn’t confident enough to do myself and he was really impressed with it.
Ditto on the Hobart 140. Always been an arc or O/Acetylene welder but needed a MIG. The 140 being 110 and light (as welders go) I can weld almost anywhere and perfect for sheet metal. Plus the warranty and low price was a factor too.

Auto Transport Service
Back