• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need help with distributor and ignition box advice

440plus6

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:03 AM
Reaction score
I am in the midst of putting together a 440Source 512" stroker. I am looking for advice on ignition box recommendations and as close to possible OEM looking distributor. I have zero intentions of ever running this car at the strip, but certainly running it through the gears on the street in an aggressive manner which will occur often! I am not sure what specs a person would need to make an educated decision, so here is a few details. 440 block .030 over. Trick Flow Power Port 240 heads for flat tappet cam. A Comp cam Xtreme Energy Hi-Lift .545, with Comp Cams Hydraulic lifters. I have tti 2" Ceramic coated headers to 3" exhaust and 3.54 rear end gears. 4speed car. Any advice you fellas can offer would be greatly appreciated!
Gracias!! And Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Last edited:
for Mopar Electronic Ignition Distributor B-Engine Plym Dodge 383 / 400 NOS Cap | eBay
Bought one of these for a customer's car from Rick Ehrenberg and worked great. OEM design allows the use of an FBO limiter plate. Obviously you'll need the RB version.
I agree with @turbine68rt here, nice quality piece, and pair it with the FBO limiter plate and ignition box. Plugs in like factory, has adjustable rev limiter and self diagnostic, and no more ballast.

FBO Ignition - Home of the HRR688

Also,made in the USA in the Pacific Northwest and comes with a great warranty.

There is no guarantee that a MSD part is not Chinese made. The last MSD #8207 coil I used was made in China.

Using a Chyrs dist with a HEI 4 pin module will give you a simple, compact ign system that has a higher spark output than the Ch system. Module can be mounted under dash, in glove box if desired. Wiring diagram on the net. Use the above E core coil or similar [ any coil that does NOT need a bal resistor ] for max output.

Nothing the matter with a factory distributor. They look as stock as it gets. If it's points you can convert to Petronix. Trigger with a good factory style box, not China.
Doug

Have @HALIFAXHOPS set up a factory dist with pertronix for you.. i just got mine from him and it looks damn nice (haven't run it yet) no ecu needed and can't look more like stock than stock...

I would recommend a Firecore distributor. Great features and quality.
Electronic Distributors - FireCore Performance
Plenty of opinions on these forums about ignition boxes. Do your research to decide which is best for you.
I have an orange box on my 383 with only 1 failure. That was some 10 years ago.

Tons of different options out there for sure. keep away from the New MP kits, bad ecu's alot of the time and curve is for the strip. One wire chinesium also run from.

for Mopar Electronic Ignition Distributor B-Engine Plym Dodge 383 / 400 NOS Cap | eBay
Bought one of these for a customer's car from Rick Ehrenberg and worked great. OEM design allows the use of an FBO limiter plate. Obviously you'll need the RB version.

I have been tempted to go the FBO full set-up route based on some of the reviews I have seen, Just Mopar Joe, and the fact that they are just down the road (so to speak) here in Oregon. . . The 440 RB "Full Conversion" HRR688DWR Points Conversion Kit, Ignition Block and Distributor with a 5 year warranty (and the cap and rotor are interchangeable with stock parts?). Seems like a temping option to clean up the mess I have now.

I really like the FBO box and I pair it with a Firecore distributor. Don used to bash the Firecores, but I think that is what they are selling now.

I really like the FBO box and I pair it with a Firecore distributor. Don used to bash the Firecores, but I think that is what they are selling now.
Firecore does get a bad rap sometimes but the ones I have personally seen that had problems were disassembled by the owners. I have had a tall Firecore in my 493 Savoy for close to 10 years now with zero issues. I run it with an MSD 6AL and a Blaster SS coil.

Pertronix Ignitor III module to drop in your stock distributor, Flamethrower Coil, gut the ballast resistor. My setup has been money for almost 7 years and some drag strip passes.

Firecore does get a bad rap sometimes but the ones I have personally seen that had problems were disassembled by the owners. I have had a tall Firecore in my 493 Savoy for close to 10 years now with zero issues. I run it with an MSD 6AL and a Blaster SS coil.
I think the only complaints I have heard about Firecores had to do with their RTR models.

Auto Transport Service
Back