• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

i need help :>)

74moparguy

Local time
1:50 PM
Reaction score
hello FBBO i have a question. On my 74 satellite 318 when i take off from a dead stop it has a stutters or stall but it almost dies every time. Can someone help please.

wires, spark plugs, cap, bug, 1000 miles old. Thanks for the help

Check your accelerator pump. Should be a strong spray out of the discharge nozzle.

Too much timing? Make sure your timing isn't too far advanced. Try it with vac advance disconnected from distributor (and plugged) and see if it is any better, if so that might be the problem. Does it ever backfire through carb?

Also, make sure choke is not staying on too long... does it happen all of the time or just shortly after starting?

ok thanks i will try that. no it does not backfire through the carb that i know.

Too much timing? Make sure your timing isn't too far advanced. Try it with vac advance disconnected from distributor (and plugged) and see if it is any better, if so that might be the problem. Does it ever backfire through carb?

Also, make sure choke is not staying on too long... does it happen all of the time or just shortly after starting?

OK checked that and it still run the same. what would be my next. if it helps anyone it stutters when warmed up to.

is it getting enuf juice from the coil to the dist to the plugs?

i do not know. how would i check to see if it is getting a enuf juice

pull the wire from the coil off the dist side and have somebody turn the motor over while you hold the coil wire next to something metal(linkage),it should have a good solid spark as the engine is turning over.but if you have found no problems in the fuel system then start checking electrical(voltage).i've had the same issue you have described but can't remember what the solution was.

If your driving normally and than punch the gas pedal to the floor and it stutters just like it does when you leave the line I'd check your cam or valve train....Check out the link,I posted a short video of what to look for if you think you have a bad/Flat cam.It would be a good idea to do a compression test on all the cylinders.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?t=6814&page=3

There are two things I would check. One, check the float level in your carburetor. If your float bowl is to low and you get on it the fuel will hit the back of the bowl and starve the carburetor. Second, check for a vacuum leak. Start the eng and spray some carburetor cleaner on your vacuum lines. Be careful doing this. If you’re idle goes up you have a leak.

Just checked out your pic's..I have the same hood lol....It wouldn't be a bad idea to get some wire looms to keep your ignition wires in order...If they are hanging all over rubbing and what not they can and will short to ground...You can do a simple test...tonight when it's dark fire up the car and use spray bottle and sprits water onto the wires, if they are bad you will see/hear them arc......
Or you can get out the multimeter,unhook one ignition wire at both ends, put one multimeter wire to each end of the ignition wire,normal plug wire resistance should be 10,000 to 15,000 ohms per foot. If it is higher, it is probably bad.

There are two things I would check. One, check the float level in your carburetor. If your float bowl is to low and you get on it the fuel will hit the back of the bowl and starve the carburetor. Second, check for a vacuum leak. Start the eng and spray some carburetor cleaner on your vacuum lines. Be careful doing this. If you’re idle goes up you have a leak.

Not a bad idea but I'll add....Put some cardboard up in front of the carb as a shield when your spraying carburetor cleaner around the intake to prevent a false diagnosis....The mist can go rite in the carb and idle up the motor tricking you into thinking the intake leaks.

hello again FBBO i found and fix the stuttered it was the floats not set right and the carb was a little dirty not it runs prefect but not when i let off the gas it lets out a nice loud back fire i time it checked the floats again and i can't find the problem can someone help please thanks.

Auto Transport Service
Back