• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need some TV recommendations

You missed my point, I simply don't watch television... At all... Period...
No I got your point. TV's can also double for computer monitors like mine though which is what I use to navigate the net, including this site.

The TV in my bedroom just went out. Measuring the screen it was 46" I know TVs get better and cheaper every year. Now Black Friday is just around the corner with large-screen TV deals. I also heard companies make cheaper, les quality TVs just for black Friday. I would like to get a bigger screen with 4K. Isn't there some new even finer resolution? My ideal would be large tv without the newest, newest tech so the prices have become reasonable or even inexpensive.

Does anybody know about TVs?
If you're looking for resolution, don't bother going past 4k. That sharpness and clarity will do fine with anything under 120". There are 8K sets in my local store but when I asked the sales guy what was available to play in that resolution, he said 8k movies were almost non-existent. The demo playing in the store (which really was quite amazing) was the only 8k source that he knew of and came on a memory stick. As for 4k, I don't even have a player for those disks, although both my camera and my phone will shoot in 4k.

Our boy, who is a pretty hardcore tech head likes TCL (available at wal-mart among other places) and even uses them as monitors on his high end gaming rig.

LG great prices too

19B1A25F-F235-4467-BDDB-8239E1E0BF47.jpeg

E790D4BD-67A1-4968-B7C1-44A3EFF1F842.jpeg

They made a movie about one of the Mitch Rapp books but it sucked. The books are a ruthless attack on terrorists. No holds barred.

Zenith was the hold out. The Last television manufacturer in the USA. LG acquired zenith and shut the business down.
I like what I see in LG products, never owned one. I just recently had to buy a new one as the old one took a dump, it was a Visio 42" with not a lot of hours on it which piss's me off. I picked up a TCL 4K 50" from Wally mart for $249, was marked at $269 so I'm not complaining. I would've gone bigger but I didn't want to screw it to the wall, I have a couple of books hanging off the edge of my TV stand just so it'll fit. Need to get a bigger TV stand anyway. Good Luck

From what I've read, cheap black Friday products are built with cheaper parts. Don't know....just what I've read....or red. That said, I like to stay away from Samsung products. Haven't had good results from anything with the Samsung name on it.
I have 3 Samsungs so far. My first one was a 42" smart bought about 7 years ago. I then replaced it with a 55". The 42 went outto the shop where it's been playing trouble free for the last 3-4 years or so. It gets hot/cold, hot/cold and so far, has never failed yet. (Cold being +5*C/41*F) The smart feature works well.
I myself don't watch mainstream TV except for hockey anymore. You tube is where I spend my time these days. I also use that for my music. No interference with the lights in the shop. Sound pumped through a Harmon Karmen amp to some old Technics speakers.
Oh 32" in the bedroom that collect dust till playoff time. lol
I'll find out how long they last. So far, they outlived the Mexican RCA. But so far, I had a big old Sony that lasted about 15 years or so till the picture tube started to go. That wasn't yesterday.

I have 3 Samsungs so far. My first one was a 42" smart bought about 7 years ago. I then replaced it with a 55". The 42 went outto the shop where it's been playing trouble free for the last 3-4 years or so. It gets hot/cold, hot/cold and so far, has never failed yet. (Cold being +5*C/41*F) The smart feature works well.
I myself don't watch mainstream TV except for hockey anymore. You tube is where I spend my time these days. I also use that for my music. No interference with the lights in the shop. Sound pumped through a Harmon Karmen amp to some old Technics speakers.
Oh 32" in the bedroom that collect dust till playoff time. lol
I'll find out how long they last. So far, they outlived the Mexican RCA. But so far, I had a big old Sony that lasted about 15 years or so till the picture tube started to go. That wasn't yesterday.
I have a tube type RCA out in the shop.....98 model that my dad bought just before he quit the earth and it's still working well. I've seen 105 temps in my shop but haven't seen freezing temps out here in a lot of years. Have a 15 year old Vizio in the den and another in my office. I still have the Samsung and thought I'd take it in and have it checked out to see what's wrong with it but that will probably cost more than it's worth. My last Samsung phone was a pile and couldn't wait to get rid of it. It was the only phone that I actually pounded on and I'm not one of those that punches walls etc lol. And don't even get me started on Samsung appliances!

Everything is "throw away" these days Cranky.
We bought a new fridge and stove here two years ago. The old ones worked fine but was rusting all to hell. It was kind of embarrassing when people came over. They were 30 years old. Bought them when we bought the house. The salesman said out right that these would be lucky to last 10 years. And not to expect
it.

If you watch sports or play video games get ine that's made with that in mind. If you're just watching HD TV then you'll have more choices. Is your room light with glare from windows? Or dark like a theater? Screen size depends on the viewing distance. Off angle viewing only matters if others are watching with you and sitting off to one side.

LG makes the OLED screens they sell, as well as Sony. Sony tends to have the better processor.

If price is a concern you can't go wrong with the higher end TCL like the 5 or 6 series (The model number will start with 5 or 6). They now come in Roku TV and Android versions.

For comparison shopping you can watch reviews on YouTube. Quantum TV has unbiased reviews. Other YouTube channels get paid for reviews.

I also recommend these websites and their videos.

I personally have owned only Sony TVs for the living room. I prefer a dark room. Currently, I'm watching a Sony Bravia A8H 65" OLED. I bought a Hisense H8G 50" LED for the grandkids' room, which is a much brighter room.

Good luck.

I am old fashioned when it comes to TV's in the bedroom. I used to have one back in the old days for nightly 10:00 o'clock news and then Johnny or Jay until it went off. These days though too much of what should be sleeping and other activity time...:lol::lol::lol::monkeyleft::monkeyleft::monkeyleft:...are spent on cell phones or the TV being on. That blue light is what prevents one from dozing off to sleep and causes much more health issues than people realize. My suggestion is 2 fold...First if you have to absolutely have one there then a smaller one is better. Personally I prefer Vizio or Sony's over anything else. Second is...FORGETABOUTIT!!! cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Everything is "throw away" these days Cranky.
We bought a new fridge and stove here two years ago. The old ones worked fine but was rusting all to hell. It was kind of embarrassing when people came over. They were 30 years old. Bought them when we bought the house. The salesman said out right that these would be lucky to last 10 years. And not to expect
it.
And that's a shame. My Whirlpool fridge is a 98 model too and bought it from an estate sale where I was working. Got it probably 10-12 years ago...side by side with a great ice maker that was super clean and no, none of us that were working there cleaned it. Even the door gaskets looked like new. Knock on wood lol. Freezer in the shop is an 06 Frigidaire and the shop beer fridge is a 13, also a Frigidaire bought from a garage sale on my street in 14 for 200 bucks. When the temps are high, I put fans on the freezer's sides figuring it's helping. The sides get pretty hot. And when a tech came out to set up the Dish TV a few years ago he said the old RCA would outlast any flat screen out there. Oh and I picked up a dryer from the side of the road for scrap but after looking it over I found the door switch was broken. The dryer overall looked pretty good and after crossing the switch it ran so I ordered a new switch and have been using it ever since which is about 5 years now. My old dryer was getting pretty ragged....but someone bought it for 75 bucks :)

Auto Transport Service
Back