• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Only Believe Half of This Story

Once they removed the scoop grille and the flying buttress rear window,the Charger was a slippery package compaired to the Plymouth. I think the fastback design of the aero Chargers rear window was the difference!

From what I recall, The 71 fuselage style was slated to appear in 70, but a strike hampered things, so the 70 cars received a makeover which obviously only lasted that one year.

What I've read was that the Superbird wasn't as aerodynamic in the back near the tail light area (maybe it was actually the rear window?) I think the Daytonas had maybe 1.5mph advantage vs. the Superbird or something like that. I never heard the nose had anything to do with it.

What I've read was that the Superbird wasn't as aerodynamic in the back near the tail light area (maybe it was actually the rear window?) I think the Daytonas had maybe 1.5mph advantage vs. the Superbird or something like that. I never heard the nose had anything to do with it.

Looking at the two cars, there are differences between the nose pieces. Whether that made any difference in speed, I don't know. My guess is that the Charger body design had better overall aerodynamics than the Plymouth.

Looking at the two cars, there are differences between the nose pieces. Whether that made any difference in speed, I don't know. My guess is that the Charger body design had better overall aerodynamics than the Plymouth.
True, Daytona overall better, just what I read about the tail sections. I also remember reading that the "c-pillar" areas on the 68-70 Charger were HORRIBLE for aerodynamics (vacuum area) and that's why they developed the rear window plug for both the Daytona & the '69 Charger 500....remember those?....first attempt at an aerodynamic car by Mopar. I bought my RR convt. from a guy that owned one & got to see it up close.

I also read that Ford had done basically the same (Ford Talladega) in 68? I believe the '69 Charger 500 was a "copy" of the Talladega and the Daytona was an improvement on the idea...BIG improvement. I also read that after 1970, NASCAR limited engine size to 355 cid or something like that because the Daytona/Superbird cars were totally dominant & that Mopar ran a small block Superbird in '71 that was less successful....just what I remember reading.

Auto Transport Service
Back