• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I sold the '70 GTO clone. Underpriced?

SteveSS

Local time
4:41 AM
Reaction score
Last night I sold my GTO clone. It started life as a Tempest. I asked $8,950 and took $8,500. I had a big block Chevy motor and the car was mostly stripped down for drag racing. I had driven it on the street a few times but since the power steering had been removed and it had a stall converter it was difficult. Add to that that once it got going it was scary fast. The interior was mostly gone.

On the good side, the 1970 models of Lemans and Tempest looked the most like their GTO brethren. The car was about 4 different colors but it didn't have any rust or dents. It had two racing seats and a rachet racing shifter and a 12-bolt rear end. It sold within 24 hours. Did I underprice it?

3cars.jpg

Sounds like someone got a good deal for a race car. :thumbsup: I bought a rusted-out Runner for 7 thou. Motor ran but needed to be rebuilt. Most of the interior was missing. I am saying seen beat up cars no motor or trannie. Just a roller for 15 thou. If your happy then let it roll.

Nope.
You got what you asked, you didn't have to deal with a bunch of tire kickers, people wanting to "test drive it" without any money, etc.
Frankly, I think you were fair and obviously someone else did too so the deal was done quickly.

I have found over the years the extra $1000 you MIGHT get from someone is not worth the hassle of all the people coming to tell you every percieved flaw in the item and offering you $2000 less anyway. Price stuff that people that are looking think to themselves" hot damn thats a good deal" and they will get the cash and show up immediately because that's how good deals work, they sell to the first one that can race over to pay.

If you decided to haul it into the salt belt, you may have gotten $9500, which might have paid for your time and gas to get it here, maybe.

Always a crap-shoot, especially with a heavily modified ride. The buyers get narrowed down when it’s not a daily driver or stripped of insides, aside from buyers wanting a racer. You somehow made your decision on what to ask for it guessing you settled on the price you wanted to post? Some price their vehicles higher than they’re worth and some of this includes sellers not sure they want to sell; but will if they find a buyer offering the right cash. Lol, I’ve had people asking at shows “You want to sell your car, what would you take for it?” I don’t even get into it saying “Everything is for sale at the right price, let me know what you want to pay.” Another lol, an Amazon delivery guy saw my car in the garage wanting to buy it. He said I’ll get you 10 grand for it today. I thanked him for his offer adding, well I have 35 grand in it…

When I sell stuff I think has some value, such as on ebay, I’ll post a higher price. No takers? Next time I’ll drop the price. Stuff I want to have gone, sell it cheap, sometimes just for the shipping cost to get it gone. Actually doing more of this now at my age.

I’ve had people asking at shows “You want to sell your car, what would you take for it?” I don’t even get into it saying “Everything is for sale at the right price, let me know what you want to pay.”
I got a bunch of this last Thursday when I had the GTX parked in the swap meet area at Carlisle. Answer I kept getting was, I won't put a price on another guy's car. To which I replied, then there's nothing to discuss. Then a real serious fellow spent half an hour going over the car (which was parked behind RC's former Charger), and explaining to me that the '69 GTX was his favorite car, and why he wanted mine. My friend @hacksaw, who was sitting next to me, piped up that $235,000 would do it today. The guy replied that he had about half that waiting back at his private plane. We exchanged information with the understanding it will be for sale if I predecease my wife.

Stuff I want to have gone, sell it cheap...
I cleaned out the garage, and gave a lot of it away at Carlisle. The good will created with my wife led her to tell me not to sell the car, after I told her the number the gentleman offered.

I went to look at (and buy) a 73 Dart Sport. It had a goofy aftermarket sunroof that looked like the side window of a camper, but the price was more than fair so I told him I would take it, full asking price. He was so happy that he started throwing in all kinds of stuff, and told me if I had said one thing about the sunroof, he was taking it off the market and scrapping it, he was so tired of lowball offers and people dissing on the sunroof. Sometimes it pays to be nice.

I went to look at (and buy) a 73 Dart Sport. It had a goofy aftermarket sunroof that looked like the side window of a camper, but the price was more than fair so I told him I would take it, full asking price. He was so happy that he started throwing in all kinds of stuff, and told me if I had said one thing about the sunroof, he was taking it off the market and scrapping it, he was so tired of lowball offers and people dissing on the sunroof. Sometimes it pays to be nice.
I got the offer on the GTX after I offered to give the guy a bezel for free. He graciously declined, and then confided his finances. I ended up selling him the bezel the next day.

You may have left a little on the table, but you didn’t have to deal with low ballers, tire kickers and no-shows. That has to be worth something…

Last night I sold my GTO clone. It started life as a Tempest. I asked $8,950 and took $8,500. I had a big block Chevy motor and the car was mostly stripped down for drag racing. I had driven it on the street a few times but since the power steering had been removed and it had a stall converter it was difficult. Add to that that once it got going it was scary fast. The interior was mostly gone.

On the good side, the 1970 models of Lemans and Tempest looked the most like their GTO brethren. The car was about 4 different colors but it didn't have any rust or dents. It had two racing seats and a rachet racing shifter and a 12-bolt rear end. It sold within 24 hours. Did I underprice it?

View attachment 1496143
As a street car you got about right. As a race car I don't really know but I still think you did fine

ya want to sell the dart??

I got a bunch of this last Thursday when I had the GTX parked in the swap meet area at Carlisle. Answer I kept getting was, I won't put a price on another guy's car. To which I replied, then there's nothing to discuss. Then a real serious fellow spent half an hour going over the car (which was parked behind RC's former Charger), and explaining to me that the '69 GTX was his favorite car, and why he wanted mine. My friend @hacksaw, who was sitting next to me, piped up that $235,000 would do it today. The guy replied that he had about half that waiting back at his private plane. We exchanged information with the understanding it will be for sale if I predecease my wife.

I cleaned out the garage, and gave a lot of it away at Carlisle. The good will created with my wife led her to tell me not to sell the car, after I told her the number the gentleman offered.
hay buddy .... i was 1/2 joking at aution price if there was 2 folks with more money than god that had to have it were in the room. i know ya didn't want to sell her and there was no way in hell i thunk he would go for that... lol
glad ya didn't tho. sounds like the wife is too. you would hate yourself if ya did sell.

Auto Transport Service
Back