• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I think it's time to sell, but wiw?

I bought the car back in '99 in Phoenix. It had a few small spots of rust over and behind the rear wheels and one or two spots in the trunk.

In 2006 I had a guy who manages a reputable shop replace the rust and paint the car modern GoMango. I stripped the car down to a bare shell and replaced or restored everything that went back on. My goal was a fun cruiser, possibly a daily driver. No concern about car shows or auction prices.

I used M&H wiring from Year One for electronic ignition. Later modified that for a GM HEI module and Holley Sniper coil. Original engine sat with water in it. This one is from a '76 D150. Hughes Whiplash cam, 4bbl Edelbrock intake/carb. Stock exhaust manifolds, with Flowmaster 40's dumped in front of the axle.

Power steering, power front discs (Scarebird with Fury rotors and GM truck calipers), most of the trim was shaved. 2.76? Sure grip. 17x7 up front 18x7 BG Rodworks Old School wheels. Tires only have maybe 1000 miles.

I pulled the top off and drilled out rivets to replace several broken/missing bushings. There are many different custom stepped rivets. Started working with a friend to make new ones, but found some nice hinges last year. I have a black replacement top too.

Still needs top put back, glass put back, door weatherstripping, wipers/washer put back, seats recovered, new door panels, heater box put back. Maybe a few other things.

Starts, runs and drives great. There are a few chips in the paint. But no dents or rust.

Bumpers could stand to be straightened and rechromed. They are currently satin black Plastidip.

20230509_210501.jpg
20230509_210516.jpg

Having my CA ’63 vert since 1994, I’ve invested some $30k in it and add the $5,000 I paid for it back then. Got an offer in the hi-20’s for it 3 years ago and I got cold feet imagining saying good bye to it. Plus the guy lives a few miles from me so figured I’d see it around. I remember this from a few decades ago selling my sweet ’67 GTO vert to a dude in town who beat the **** out of it. Every time I spotted it, it had another caved in body part, eventually seeing it in a dealer’s junk lot. Lol, it was traumatizing. Longer story. Swore I’d never sell a ride I cherished to anybody within a 100-mile radius.

That was a great offer for my Ply. Doubt I could sell it for that. Values I’ve seen overall, don’t support it. A lot of guys with sweet rides have said they don’t think about profit, knowing they may invest more than the car is worth to make it just the way they want it; I did the same. I’m fortunate as I don’t need the cash and have a comfy space to keep it. Only thing is when time comes, I’d like to sell it to someone giving me the impression they’ll take care of it as my kids don’t want it.

I’d toss out – be patient, if you can, selling your car. Your getting nice advice from fellow members on what to think about to make your sell an informed one. Good luck.

I bought the car back in '99 in Phoenix. It had a few small spots of rust over and behind the rear wheels and one or two spots in the trunk.

In 2006 I had a guy who manages a reputable shop replace the rust and paint the car modern GoMango. I stripped the car down to a bare shell and replaced or restored everything that went back on. My goal was a fun cruiser, possibly a daily driver. No concern about car shows or auction prices.

I used M&H wiring from Year One for electronic ignition. Later modified that for a GM HEI module and Holley Sniper coil. Original engine sat with water in it. This one is from a '76 D150. Hughes Whiplash cam, 4bbl Edelbrock intake/carb. Stock exhaust manifolds, with Flowmaster 40's dumped in front of the axle.

Power steering, power front discs (Scarebird with Fury rotors and GM truck calipers), most of the trim was shaved. 2.76? Sure grip. 17x7 up front 18x7 BG Rodworks Old School wheels. Tires only have maybe 1000 miles.

I pulled the top off and drilled out rivets to replace several broken/missing bushings. There are many different custom stepped rivets. Started working with a friend to make new ones, but found some nice hinges last year. I have a black replacement top too.

Still needs top put back, glass put back, door weatherstripping, wipers/washer put back, seats recovered, new door panels, heater box put back. Maybe a few other things.

Starts, runs and drives great. There are a few chips in the paint. But no dents or rust.

Bumpers could stand to be straightened and rechromed. They are currently satin black Plastidip.

View attachment 1462750View attachment 1462751
You are preparing a heck of an add here already. Why not just start an ad and price it at whatever makes sense. It's worth more than $10,000. May be not worth $30. Price it at $25. You can always come down. Remember, it's an unfinished car.

I have commented a few times before about the need for a sub forum to help members determine a reasonable value prior to listing something for sale.
I have often had some parts that I wanted to sell but have not seen them advertised by others so I didn't know what the value was.
I don't want to sell too cheap and I don't want to look like a delusional, greedy jerk.
So far, there is no clear answer.
I understand the Moderators concern when some member posts a thread asking for a value. It sometimes leads to an un authorized sales ad in the wrong forum. I've sold cars through ebay but not many parts. Ebay isn't a real accurate barometer of value, neither are the major auction houses. They often give an inflated sales price that may have as much to do with buyer's ego at the time of auction as much as the actual value of the car.
Great example recently was a nice '69 Road Runner with numbers matching 383. No sale at 80K while posted on Cars On Line. Sold for over 150K at Mecum Kissimmee. Obviously the real world private party value is lower than both those numbers.

Great example recently was a nice '69 Road Runner with numbers matching 383. No sale at 80K while posted on Cars On Line. Sold for over 150K at Mecum Kissimmee. Obviously the real world private party value is lower than both those numbers.
True that. Sales are a funny thing. An ad can bring tire kickers and thieves (buy your vehicle for a ridiculously low price)
Auctions have captive audiences. People go there with the intent to buy. They are pre approved for X amount $$$ and no tire kicking or wheelin' and dealin for a lesser price. When you get 2 or 3 buyers bidding against each other things can get real stupid.
The prices those cars sell for in those extremes aren't necessarily real world numbers. One sale can be artificially low where the other is too high.
I prefer a common sense approach like I posted above. It's worth more than X. It's not really worth Y, so I'll price it somewhere in the middle at Z.

True that. Sales are a funny thing. An ad can bring tire kickers and thieves (buy your vehicle for a ridiculously low price)
Auctions have captive audiences. People go there with the intent to buy. They are pre approved for X amount $$$ and no tire kicking or wheelin' and dealin for a lesser price. When you get 2 or 3 buyers bidding against each other things can get real stupid.
The prices those cars sell for in those extremes aren't necessarily real world numbers. One sale can be artificially low where the other is too high.
My fifth GTX was a great example of this. Most of the offers I got on it when selling privately were about half of what it's been bid to on the auction circuit over the last two years. Price I paid for the current car fell in the middle.

Sold for over 150K
Yeah – and think TIMING is huge. Get a couple people wanting a particular ride outbidding the other. Dream time for the seller. About one out of 25 times, could be 50, I’ve posted something for auction that a couple people wanted. Pair of parking lenses I posted for 50 bucks and ended up selling for $200. Have seen gorgeous rides being auctioned for out of the world bids then some that get crap wishing I would a been bidding!

Yeah – and think TIMING is huge. Get a couple people wanting a particular ride outbidding the other. Dream time for the seller. About one out of 25 times, could be 50, I’ve posted something for auction that a couple people wanted. Pair of parking lenses I posted for 50 bucks and ended up selling for $200. Have seen gorgeous rides being auctioned for out of the world bids then some that get crap wishing I would a been bidding!
How true. I had a cash offer on GTX number five that was less than the auction bids, but significantly more than I sold the car for. I wasn't highly motivated to sell at the time, and felt an instant dislike of the arrogant potential buyer, who lived locally. So no deal. Do not regret my decision.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was originally thinking high teens, with $15k being my bottom dollar. Sounds like I wasn't far off. I've always said it's better to price high and come down. You can't go up. I've found that when someone is truly interested in the car and not just a flipper or keyboard warrior they'll take the time to check it out and work a deal. I'm looking for that person.

I also would prefer to not see her again, especially if she ended up like Ron's GTO. That would kill me. I know it's just a car, but it's also a lot of hard work from me and 24 years of my life.

Maybe start it at $22k and see where I get?

Yeah, I was originally thinking high teens, with $15k being my bottom dollar. Sounds like I wasn't far off. I've always said it's better to price high and come down. You can't go up. I've found that when someone is truly interested in the car and not just a flipper or keyboard warrior they'll take the time to check it out and work a deal. I'm looking for that person.

I also would prefer to not see her again, especially if she ended up like Ron's GTO. That would kill me. I know it's just a car, but it's also a lot of hard work from me and 24 years of my life.

There you go.

Yes, I understand and I'll work on getting on all the details, but just wanted to know if I could get help before I typed everything out and then it got deleted.

Sorry, and thank you!

If you follow Joey's "Marketplace" rules, and be really thorough with description & pics, you shouldn't have any problems with it getting deleted. Good Luck

Yeah - things are not so rosy from inflation causing the funds people used to have for 'nice to have' things to be spent on - food & shelter..

If you follow Joey's "Marketplace" rules, and be really thorough with description & pics, you shouldn't have any problems with it getting deleted. Good Luck
Thanks. I was more worried about this post getting deleted. On some forums just mentioning I'm thinking about selling my car outside the classifieds will get it deleted.

This was exactly what I needed. I honestly hadn't even thought about posting for sale here, and still not sure if I will. I just needed some help, a reality check, and you guys came through. This has always been my favorite Mopar board, even though I don't post a lot, everyone here is very helpful and not so judgemental.

Thanks!

Thanks. I was more worried about this post getting deleted. On some forums just mentioning I'm thinking about selling my car outside the classifieds will get it deleted.

This was exactly what I needed. I honestly hadn't even thought about posting for sale here, and still not sure if I will. I just needed some help, a reality check, and you guys came through. This has always been my favorite Mopar board, even though I don't post a lot, everyone here is very helpful and not so judgemental.

Thanks!
WIW threads don't get deleted until someone makes an offer to buy. Then it's game on. I chased my tail for 2 days straight a year ago here, trying to find a sale that went south. Come to find out the parts were bought through a "What's it worth" thread. :BangHead: :mob: Like I have mentioned, most WIW worth threads end up with a back door sale and are seriously frowned upon in these forums. The sellers side step the sale rules and it's not fair to the other sellers that follow the rules.

WIW threads don't get deleted until someone makes an offer to buy. Then it's game on. I chased my tail for 2 days straight a year ago here, trying to find a sale that went south. Come to find out the parts were bought through a "What's it worth" thread. :BangHead: :mob: Like I have mentioned, most WIW worth threads end up with a back door sale and are seriously frowned upon in these forums. The sellers side step the sale rules and it's not fair to the other sellers that follow the rules.
Is it a no no to offer a part to someone having troube/broken that part?

Is it a no no to offer a part to someone having troube/broken that part?
It's best to send the guy a PM instead of posting where everyone can see. They see you do it and they think it's ok for them to do it elsewhere.

with $15k being my bottom dollar. I've always said it's better to price high and come down. You can't go up.
For anybody wanting to sell a car, this is the best game plan if you want to make a deal regardless of the car or the price, where everybody's happy. Good Luck

Thanks Ed went to Haggarty to check valuation UGH. Since last Oct. valuation of my car has dropped 18%. Makes it easier not to sell.:thumbsup:
Really? I didn't think any of these had dropped any....sheesh.

Auto Transport Service
Back