• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I turn on the heat annndddd...

Dubjitsu

Local time
11:33 AM
Reaction score
... nothing.

69 Coronet. Heat/fans were working fine. I'd turn them on, they'd blow. Everything was right in the world. Then all of a sudden, when I try to turn it on, nothing. Fans won't blow. Fuse is fine. And that ends the extent of my knowledge in this area. Any ideas what went/is wrong? Thx for any help

Are we talking factory setup?

The controls has a switch on the topside which could be bad. The resistor on the front ofbox could be bad......

Check the wires at the resistor o .the box to make sure they are connected....

My bet is probably the switch on the control panel...

Yes, factory set up. Ok I'll check but have no idea what I'm looking at, unless it's something obvious like disconnected wires, I'm not sure how to tell what's wrong.

Buy a volt tester.....check for power at the switch when in the on position......also at the single plug on the resistor when switch is on and make sure not to remove the plug....

Checking the switch is a pain in the *** because its hard to get behind the switch. You can troubleshoot the switch with a test light at the multiple connector at the resistor block.

To test the motor and resistor block:
Get a LONG length of wire and attach one end to the battery. At the heater IIRC there is a single and a multiple connector on the resistor block. The single is TO the motor so pull the connector off and touching your long wire to it should make the motor run (touch the terminal on the wire - not the one on the resistor block). If the motor doesn't run, look no further, that's your problem.

If the motor runs, test the resistor block. Pull off the multiple connector and one at a time tough each terminal - this time on the resistor block. Each terminal should yield a different speed. If any one doesn't work you need to swap the resistor block. If they all work then the problem will be either the switch or power to the switch.

I can't even find the blower motor! is it behind the glove box?! There's nothing on the firewall except what i believe is the wiper motor

Not seeing the motor

20180420_104754.jpg 20180420_105631.jpg

I can't even find the blower motor! is it behind the glove box?! There's nothing on the firewall except what i believe is the wiper motor

You have to drop the heater box to find the blower motor but that should be your last resort. No need to get near the motor for any tests. That little dimple in the firewall is where the blower motor is.

Yes, factory set up. Ok I'll check but have no idea what I'm looking at, unless it's something obvious like disconnected wires, I'm not sure how to tell what's wrong.

It sounds like someone needs to get a FSM to fix their problems. Good Luck

You also have to drop the control panel to access the switch

Geez Stanton is it that difficult....

Resistor block should be visible below glovebox. A/C or not?

Yes! And you risk damaging the dash pads pulling that panel out or putting it back in. Do all the tests possible before going anywhere near the switch.
Lol.....pulled many down to clear to access to access the switch without damaging any pads........so you don't know how to tackle it the right way obviously, nor the patience......it is easily done with common core knowledge of removing parts properly....

Yeah, I guess I'm a total screw-up and you're the expert - give yourself a big pat on the back.

Then explain to the rest of us why you would dick around with the switch panel when you can do most tests by pulling two very easily accessible connectors off in the passenger footwell ?!?!?

Yes! And you risk damaging the dash pads pulling that panel out or putting it back in. Do all the tests possible before going anywhere near the switch.

Doesn't the heat/fan panel pull down with the removal of 4 philips screws from the upper dash panel? I don't recall any pads around it. This is not the switch panel below the cluster.

Doesn't the heat/fan panel pull down with the removal of 4 philips screws from the upper dash panel? I don't recall any pads around it. This is not the switch panel below the cluster.
Stanton has no clue Mark....

That's all you have to do......4 screws.....

Btw Stanton I will pat myself on the back because I help members here the right/correct way......versus you continued incorrect postings......

Do you not understand the heater control unit as switches....sliders etc....and the far right is called the heater control and the far left is the fan switch........

See below...glad I could educate you...makes me happy

https://www.ebay.com/p/NOS-MOPAR-19...8%26rvr_ts%3De4b79d511620ab1275e4332bfff96cb0

Can't we all just get along?

I appreciate everyone's input. I did pull the control panel out originally and was a bit worried about damaging the material on the dash, but it's not a big deal, just need to be careful. Got stuck fixing my Jeep so I'll have to try running the electrical tests when I get back from Carlisle. As far as the recommendation to get a FSM (I'm assuming that means a Service Manual?), I'm ordering one but was hoping to fix this before heading down to Carlisle which I'm going to do right now.

A FSM(service manual) IS your best friend..

Lol.....the typical phrase.....service manual.....so very true Jeff so true....the oldest and most correct reference......

Still people don't use it and you can downloaded it for free........

Lol.....the typical phrase.....service manual.....so very true Jeff so true....the oldest and most correct reference......

Still people don't use it and you can downloaded it for free........
WHAT??? download it?? Had to pay for mine in 1968!!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back