• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ID of an A 12 car

Garys1969RR

Local time
8:20 AM
Reaction score
Is there any way to tell if a Roadrunner or any B Body car was originally an A 12 car? My fender tag is gone, but it had a 440 and a re pop six pack hood on it when I got it. I have the VIN number. It is RM 23H9E138940. Does this indicate anything? It is a console and auto trans, with the 8 3/4 rear end. 4.11 gears. I understand there is a number on the trunk rail under the weather strip? Will this indicate anything? Thanks.

The trunk lip numbers should match the last 7 digits of your vin tag. The numbers are also stamped in the radiator support usually on the drivers side.

It is RM 23H9E138940. Does this indicate anything?

The "H" tells us it was a 383 car. As stated above, the 440-6bbl cars have an "M" in that position.
The "E" tells us it was built at the LA plant. A12 cars were built at the "A" Lynch Road plant.

It sounds like you have a 383 Road Runner built at the LA plant that has been modified.

Auto Transport Service
Back