• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ideas Welcome

Red Cricket

Local time
5:54 PM
Reaction score
G evening, I was putting in bolts for the hood and the nut broke loose with the bolt half tight. After cutting bolt off........ I was thinking of cutting a slot from the outside of the hood and slide a piece of steel strap with a nut welded on. start bolt.. then weld strap in...then fold back metal and weld hood. Always open to hear ideas!! TKS for your time

dam thats sucks dont know what I would do. That could work. So the nut/broken bolt is floating in their? Pics might help for an ideal

On my 1966 hood not sure if they are built the same but the piece of steel that the hood bolts screwed into was semi loose in the hood. When I took the hood off that piece of metal was flip flopping around inside the hood. Had to move the hood around until it got close to the small access hole then I grabbed it with a magnet. But with a broken off bolt it would probably be a pain in the neck to remove.

I'm guessing the hinge mounting area, but pics would definately help with ideas. I would explore ideas working it from the bottom, I believe less body work would be needed.

I bought my Coronet 18 months ago and could not figure out why the "F" anyone would cut into the hood like this.
I think you just answered my question.
I don't recommend doing it this way but I guess it works if you don't care.
IMG_3420.JPG

its the top bolt on the hood. The bolt is still screwed in the nut 1/2 way then the nut broke loose. Im thinking of removing the other bolt on that side....(cut off bolt) then lifting the hood up and blocking it up on that side. My hole im thinking would be on the Outside of the original hole. A slot.. 3 sides..top, bottom and 1 end. Roll it back and insert nutplate and spot weld. Roll the material back and weld. the hinge Should cover most of the repair. I hope...

do it from the bottom so you dont f up the nice side of the hood

That’s what I was thinking surgery under the hinge. Let it hide the scar.

G evening, I was putting in bolts for the hood and the nut broke loose with the bolt half tight. After cutting bolt off........ I was thinking of cutting a slot from the outside of the hood and slide a piece of steel strap with a nut welded on. start bolt.. then weld strap in...then fold back metal and weld hood. Always open to hear ideas!! TKS for your time
I would drill out the hole and put a rivet nut in its place. You will need the tool to expand it but it will work and hold.

Auto Transport Service
Back