• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Identify axle bearings please - do I need end play adjustment on these?

OzCharger69

Local time
6:24 PM
Reaction score
I just pulled the rear end to change diff gear ratio. Forgive my ignorance but these look like green bearings? Do I need to do end play adjustment on these bearings?

Thanks for your help

PXL_20230906_064833348.MP.jpg

That is a stock type tapered bearing and will need to be adjusted after reinstalling. I hope for your sake, the other axle has the adjuster since that one does not.

Thanks Kern. I assume I will have to buy the dial and jig for it. Is there a backyard way or adjusting the play with feeler gauges or other?

Thanks Kern. I assume I will have to buy the dial and jig for it. Is there a backyard way or adjusting the play with feeler gauges or other?
With out a dial indicator, a fixture could be rigged up (make it adjustable) to allow feeler gauges to be placed between it and the axle flange. Tap/rotate the adjuster nut with a punch/old screwdriver to obtain the clearance you desire. A dead-blow hammer works well to move the axles back and forth/in and out. The adjuster flange belongs on the right side of the axle assy. In most applications, tapered roller bearings need a slight amount of clearance. Like the front wheel bearings.
Mike

I cannot stress any more emphatically the need to own a Factory Service Manual for these cars if you're going to
be working on them...
The procedure is actually quite easy and is addressed in the FSM.

I have never used a dial indicator to adjust axle bearings. As strange as it may seem to some people, you can develop a feel for the right amount. I've never had a failure as a result of using this method.

I adjust mine by feel as well. I get it to zero play and tap the hub with a dead blow to set the bearings and readjust to where there is just a bit of play.

Keep the taper bearings, they are built to last and adjustment is very easy.

I have never used a dial indicator to adjust axle bearings. As strange as it may seem to some people, you can develop a feel for the right amount. I've never had a failure as a result of using this method.
Spot On... I turned wrenches for 40 years, Easy peasy... Run the adjuster down till there's zero enf play, back the adjuster off two notches.. There should be a very slight amount of movement.. About 010....

Might as well say to make sure you have a center button inside your differential otherwise you will have issues. What center section are you using?

I was at a car club meeting last night and a guy was talking about torqueing bolts in the suspension during reassembly.
He was surprised when I told him that I only check torque on the lug nuts, not tie rod adjusting sleeves, ball joint nuts etc.
This guy....he is meticulous though. One time he wanted to discuss the theory of how water sprinkler systems are more effective if they spray in a coarser pattern rather than a mist....based on his thought that a finer mist evaporates before it hits the grass.
I think that he just likes to overthink things.

I was at a car club meeting last night and a guy was talking about torqueing bolts in the suspension during reassembly.
He was surprised when I told him that I only check torque on the lug nuts, not tie rod adjusting sleeves, ball joint nuts etc.
This guy....he is meticulous though. One time he wanted to discuss the theory of how water sprinkler systems are more effective if they spray in a coarser pattern rather than a mist....based on his thought that a finer mist evaporates before it hits the grass.
I think that he just likes to overthink things.
Fat drops are better than mist for irrigation. Less evaporation. Especially when windy, hot and the sun is out. Thats why we irrigated during the night with our lemons.

Oh crap...I think I met Carl's brother last night.

In a stock rear axle green bearings are not your friend. They suck!

You guys need to stop hitting the axles with a hammer. It is not helping anything. it says lightly tap With a non metallic hammer.

those bearings need to be packed with grease, get a needle at NAPA makes it easy.

read the service manual. It is very simple to adjust.

881AF287-CA3E-4A85-963F-59BA5ACDC0AD.jpeg

7D02AB0A-9631-433E-95DE-7BB58CB2550E.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks all for the great replies. My FSM was kidnapped by my ex when she moved out. I'll find an online version until I buy a new one.

Auto Transport Service
Back