• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Idler Arm

Bigal75

Local time
5:50 AM
Reaction score
67 b body. Tried a pickle fork and zip gun and it still won't seperate from the drag link. I've got limited space as in I don' have access to a lift. Any tricks to get this off?

20180428_152931.jpg
Puller, the kind where you turn the bolt with a wrench?

My favorite on non-show cars is a BIG sledge hammer....like a 2 lb. one & smack the side of the center link at the idler arm connection and the shock wave will cause it to pop out. I've been VERY successful with this

When is a 2# hammer called a sledge?
BFH on 1 side, smack it on the other with the next biggest you have

So you push up on the stud/bolt?

Yes, hook the two fingers on the center link and tighten up on the bolt, which presses the idler arm up and out of the center link.
(Jump to the 2:00 point of this link).

You might get away with just pounding it out as mentioned above or prying it loose (jump to the 4:30 point of the link below). If all that fails, then use the press in post #4.

My favorite on non-show cars is a BIG sledge hammer....like a 2 lb. one & smack the side of the center link at the idler arm connection and the shock wave will cause it to pop out. I've been VERY successful with this
Prybar on center link for some tension and then the BFH, works almost every time.

Darn it. I can' get it off even with a puller. I guess I'll "try" to separate the tie rods and pull the pitman arm off the steering shaft and get it on a press. No way this is coming off lol.

Penetrating oil tried? Kroil or similar? You may not be mad enuf yet?!

Yeah I'm pretty pissed lol. It' sitting with more penetrating oil. I didn' feel like taking everything off but I may have no choice.

Yes thats exactly where I'm hitting it. But I can only get so much swing into it since there are headers in the way. I'l try again later once I've figured another method of attack.

Like KK says, hit the center link; thought you were talking idler arm though. Same principle.

Idler Arm yes the picture above is a Pitman. I'm hitting in the same region but on the idler side.

Yes thats exactly where I'm hitting it. But I can only get so much swing into it since there are headers in the way. I'l try again later once I've figured another method of attack.

Fn headers! Just try to turn it to the best spot to get a decent swing at it. Back up the opposite side with another good hammer. Leave the nut on just a couple of threads so when it comes off you don't get beaned.

Ok, switched sides...
Screenshot_2018-04-30-19-03-26.jpg

Ya got help? A little down pressure on centerlink will help immensely.

Auto Transport Service
Back