• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm in Miami and having a blast

Hey Michael, why 30 hours? Its about a 14 hour flight from Germany to the USA. We fly to Texas quite often from Hamburg. You must have had a bad run.
I am glad you are having fun in the sun.

While you're there check out Wet Willies during the day. They have a second story balcony where you can sit and enjoy the views while having some frozen concoctions.
At night go to Mangos for a show.
Have a great time there and don't forget the sunscreen!

If you have the time, take a road trip down the Florida Keys. The Overseas Highway is beautiful. Stop at Alabama Jacks on Card Sound Rd on your way down. A great dive bar with some local flavor. Jump Zone, an 80's movie with Wesley Snipes used Alabama Jack's as a film set. Also, stop at the Caribbean Club on Key Largo. Another great bar with lots of history. The old Humphrey Bogart movie Key Largo was filmed at that site.

Key West is insanely fun! It was there that I got to judge a wet T-shirt contest...I gotta say, the girls with the store-bought hooties were nothing when compared to the girls that came by theirs naturally. Drank free that night, in appreciation of my services! This was 1993. What a fun TDY that was!

Well Michael glad your having a good time.
My wife and I were in Fl. ( Panama City ) last week, we just returned home from
San Antonio Tx. yesterday.
Helped our grandson and his family move to Tx.
We had a working vacation lol.
Enjoy your time here and watch that traffic. It can go from 80 mph to zero in 100ft. Or seems like it.
Also $ 1.00 tip is not cool , $10 would be good, also when out for dinner 30 % of the bill is a decent tip.
Have a great time.

Key West is insanely fun! It was there that I got to judge a wet T-shirt contest...I gotta say, the girls with the store-bought hooties were nothing when compared to the girls that came by theirs naturally. Drank free that night, in appreciation of my services! This was 1993. What a fun TDY that was!
Key West? Sure they are girls? If you go to the Keys, gotta stop at Roberts on way back.

A lot of things have changed in Key West since then lol. I’m actually here right now because of a request from my wife and this place blows. Most of the Food sucks, authentic Cuban Food sucks also though I do like that freshly ground Cuban coffee that’ll bout knock you on your ***. Once you get away from country cooking, southern cuisine and Cajun style Foods about any other place you go the Food sucks, it’s really that much better. Went to Maui this past winter and the food sucked there also but Maui made Key West or any other place in Florida I’ve been to look like a dump.

So i've been here for a good week now and came to the conclusion that while it's a beautiful place/scenery (beach, palms, art deco etc.) i probably won't be coming back and that is mainly due to the TRAFFIC.

Yesterday i went to the Bayside Marketplace because i wanted to (and did) take a boat cruise.
I took the "Millionaires Row" cruise from Island Queen (islandqueencruises.com). (Spent 30$ on the Ticket, 2$ tip & 3$ for a bottle of Water.)
Nothing to complain about the tour was great and absolutely worth it.

BUT getting there was already a nightmare because of the traffic. It takes about 30min to drive 1 mile in that bayside area.
If you think thats bad than i'm here to tell you that was nothing compared to the drive back to the hotel.
1.Just as bad traffic
2.Started to rain
3.Needed to pee badly but could not because of the traffic
4.They closed a road and i did not know where to go (At this point i was getting pretty desperate)
5.Thankfully after the gps bringing me back to the closed road a second time and me not being able to figure out where to go the lady at the road closure helped me out and i was able to figure it out eventually.
Worst driving conditions i had to deal with EVER.

Their hard taco shells taste like cardboard. That hasn't always been the case. They've been going downhill for over 20 years now, bad food, bad service & higher prices. That's my opinion about most "corporate" fast food places, they sacrifice quality (cheaper ingredients) and employee pay for higher profits.

I actually liked the Soft Taco best along with the Fries with Nacho Cheese dips. 1 of the 2 Slush drinks that i ordered was also decent.
Yes the burrito and hard shell taco i would not order again.

Get out in the country a little bit and sample rural FL - it's a whole other world.

Is there an area within about 30min of driving with very little traffic?
I would actually like to use the 450hp v8 in my mustang a little bit but it's not going to happen around here. :)

Hey Michael, why 30 hours? Its about a 14 hour flight from Germany to the USA. We fly to Texas quite often from Hamburg. You must have had a bad run.
I am glad you are having fun in the sun.

This was the time between sleep, the flight itself was only 10hrs.
But multiple reasons why it took so long.
- I needed to drive 3 1/2 hours from Ingolstadt to Frankfurt. Munich Airport has no direct flight to Miami. (Los Angeles would be possible, though)
- I woke up early because i wanted to be there early (I'm not routined with flying and airports)
- The flight was delayed
- After arriving there was a long waiting line for the pass control
- Traffic
- Did not directly go to bed after checkin but grabbed some lobster rolls, walked around the beach, called home etc. first

If you want to drive about 200 miles one way into Central Florida, I recommend the Cherry Pocket Fish Camp and Bar in Lake Wales. To avoid the coast, I’d cut over under Lake Okeechobee. One of few remaining Old Florida locations. Some Harley Geezers, and entertainment on weekends. The Carillons are nearby. Look for the tower.

297E6670-5E50-4E43-8B9E-E8DAFA4EE6B6.png

257186B1-428B-4F3B-9617-020A4845C2C2.png

Not too far from Miami you can get on Tamiami Trail (part of US41)which turns into a loooooooong straight two lane road that crosses the everglades. It may take you a while to get out to the boonies, but you will certainly be able to open up the Mustang and see what it can do out there. Beware though, you may come across an alligator basking in the middle of the road.

Alligator Alley is a little further north from you and is the stretch of I-75 that connects Ft Lauderdale with Naples. There are also long stretches out there that have potential. A couple years ago Top Gear America filmed a segment on Alligator Alley where the opened up a Bugatti Veyron to see how fast they could get it. Of course, FHP had the highway closed while they filmed.

I just came back from Shorty's Bar-B-Q @ 11575 SW 40th St, Miami, FL 33165, had some ribs and then grabbed some groceries and gas nearby.
From what i have seen so far i like this area/district best!
Traffic is still a lot but manageable and you got everything you need right there: Restaurants, Grocery Stores Incl. Walmart Super Center, Gas Stations...
I think i will spend more time in this area. :)

If you want to drive about 200 miles one way into Central Florida, I recommend the Cherry Pocket Fish Camp and Bar in Lake Wales. To avoid the coast, I’d cut over under Lake Okeechobee. One of few remaining Old Florida locations. Some Harley Geezers, and entertainment on weekends. The Carillons are nearby. Look for the tower.

I don't know if i want to drive 200 miles one way but i will look into it. :)

I used to commute to Miami from West Palm Beach and you definitely want to avoid I-95 during rush hour.
If you want to check out car shows while you're here look here: Southeast Florida
There are a few other options up this way too:
Riviera Beach, Florida | Rapids Water Park

Drive-Through Safari & Adventure Park | Lion Country Safari
https://www.butterflyworld.com/
What are your interests?

Of course car shows would be interesting. I will look into it. :)

Not too far from Miami you can get on Tamiami Trail (part of US41)which turns into a loooooooong straight two lane road that crosses the everglades. It may take you a while to get out to the boonies, but you will certainly be able to open up the Mustang and see what it can do out there. Beware though, you may come across an alligator basking in the middle of the road.

Alligator Alley is a little further north from you and is the stretch of I-75 that connects Ft Lauderdale with Naples. There are also long stretches out there that have potential. A couple years ago Top Gear America filmed a segment on Alligator Alley where the opened up a Bugatti Veyron to see how fast they could get it. Of course, FHP had the highway closed while they filmed.

Yes on my trip to the everglades and inside the everglades was the best opportunity i got so far. :D
I will look up your suggestions and probably go down that route. :)

-----

But all in all i plan on taking it slower this week. Right now i'm about to head on the beach. :)
Depending on my mood i will eat at a restaurant here in south beach (and walk there) or maybe drive to a wendy's/pizza hut/hooters later.

I think sunday would probably be a good day to go to "Mortons" Steakhouse again. (Because less cars/traffic)
I had a 12oz Filet Mignon steak that was, together with the Lobster Rolls from "The Lobster Shack" the best food i had here so far. :)
Five Guys and Shorty's BBQ is also pretty good.

BUT: I doubt the Steaks at mortons are really "usda prime" as advertised.
Because i had choice steaks that have been more tender then their "prime" steaks. Nontheless the steak tasted really good. :)

We have been to Germany twice to visit my wife’s relatives. I was quit shocked when Michael wouldn’t let me leave a 10% tip at that time. It seemed that none tipped. Maybe things have changed in years.

We have been to Germany twice to visit my wife’s relatives. I was quit shocked when Michael wouldn’t let me leave a 10% tip at that time. It seemed that none tipped. Maybe things have changed in years.

I pretty much always give a 10% tip in germany.
I think 20% as they seem to expect or even force sometimes around miami is a bit excessive, though.

-----

Another question that some of you might can answer:

I watched "miami vice" (the original tv show from the 80s) the weeks prior to this vacation and there you can see crockett and tabbs speeding all over miami.
Was the traffic "fake" in the tv show or was it really that much better 40-50 years ago? :)

traffic "fake" in the tv show
Was set for filming notice how these chase scenes usually were at night, filming around 2-3 AM and early Sunday mornings as I had read about.

Here you go. Live Music in Ft. Pierce, Florida | Summer Crush Winery | Concerts, Music Shows, Live Bands
Depending on where you are in Meami, as my wife would say. A couple hours north of you, just off 95 on the north end of Ft.Pierce. Car show tomorrow. food music. Scrole down to event.
Says 10/person, 20 to show a car, includes driver and one passenger. You could open your hood and show your hopped up stang. I was there I think last year for mopar show. Nice place.
1686423856237.png

Last edited:
I just talked to a taxi driver that has been here for 50 years. He said the traffic was not an issue 50 years ago.

I just talked to a taxi driver that has been here for 50 years. He said the traffic was not an issue 50 years ago.
Duh, add close to 4 million people and it tends to happen.

I was in Florida in 2000.
Population of the US was 280 million.
It's now around 340 million.

Florida looks to have gone from 15 million to 21 million in the last 20 years.

The land area hasn't increased...

I was in Florida in 2000.
Population of the US was 280 million.
It's now around 340 million.

Florida looks to have gone from 15 million to 21 million in the last 20 years.

The land area hasn't increased...
This is where I used to cruise in the late 60s. Looks different now I’ll bet. (Collins ave north Miami Beach)
E96B4337-0D2D-49A4-B21E-342773532404.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back