• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In a tight spot

fine69

Local time
5:33 PM
Reaction score
First of all, I’d like to clarify - yes, I’m an idiot.
I had recently reinstalled my headers on my charger. I noticed that the front driver side didn’t look flush with the cylinder head. The bolts seemed tight so I decided to take the front two out to clean the threads and retorque them.
However, I had just bought a set of ratcheting wrenches so I thought I’d do this real quick with them. I did the very front one no problem and without turning my brain on, started taking out the second one and backed my self into a corner. The wrench is trapped between the bolt head and header tube. Aaaaaahh!!! Why do I always f**k something up?
I’ve stood here scratching my head for some time now. Does anyone have any pointers for righting my wrong?

IMG_2726.jpeg

Thanks for the tip. That crossed my mind however that is indeed the problem at hand…

"Maybe tighten the bolt"

He can't ... its a wratchet wrench - it has to be flipped over to turn the other way.

Losen the rest of them off so the header moves away from the head - use an "old fashion" wrench this time !!!

4.jpg

"Maybe tighten the bolt"

He can't ... its a wratchet wrench - it has to be flipped over to turn the other way.

Losen the rest of them off so the header moves away from the head - use an "old fashion" wrench this time !!!

View attachment 1630055
That’s what I’m talking about!
You’re the man, gkent!

I ended up buying three different sets of header bolts/studs/nuts for my Hookers because of the
same thing you are going through! What a headache!

I'm betting the reason G Kent had the answer is because he's seen it before... Once you've learned that sort of lesson you might as well be Pepperidge Farms...

I’m thinking a small needle nose visegrip might be used to grab the shoulder of the bolt and turn it clockwise to get the wrench off. Good luck.

I’m thinking a small needle nose visegrip might be used to grab the shoulder of the bolt and turn it clockwise to get the wrench off. Good luck.
First thing I tried. There just isn’t room. I’ll have to loosen the whole manifold like gkent said.
Thanks though!

Before you go nuts, thread a couple of longer bolts in the end holes - these'll hold the header in place while you "do your thing" !!

All my ratchet wrenches have a lever to change direction. Shame yours doesn't, would have made things slightly easier.
K030022.jpg

I'm betting the reason G Kent had the answer is because he's seen it before... Once you've learned that sort of lesson you might as well be Pepperidge Farms...
Actually... yes ! . I'd encountered that same exact problem 50 years ago. And discovered that, to do that specific job, you use an open end wrench on the inside bolt ( can't use a stud ) on the #1 cyl with Hooker headers. When you gain experience, the job is .... EASY.

You could just leave it there, and tell everyone your header bolt is always coming loose so you installed a quick tightening wrench to save time.

But if it was me, I'd probably get a dremel with a cut off wheel and just slice it off...and buy the one with the lever to replace it.

Auto Transport Service
Back