• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incoming nine digit numbers to my cell phone.

ws23jrt

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:00 AM
Reaction score
I have been getting these calls on a regular basis. About one each day and always near the same time of day.
They are hangup calls whether I answer or not.
Calling them back doesn't work because they are not ten-digit numbers.
A small amount of time searching the internet only told me I am not alone.

My primary question is--what possible value could there be for the instigators of these calls?
Has anyone else been irritated enough to find an understanding of why this happens?

I have more curiosity than I have pain.

BTW they are always different numbers (as far as I have been motivated to monitor)

OOps the phone is ringing--I will put this thread on hold--please stand by.:eek:

I get them too. Only thing I can think of is they are robo dialing to see if you pick up. If you do they sell the number as a lead.

Block them if your phone allows that sort of thing.. What 69L said above.

Sometimes you can find some info about them by googling the number... it's all telemarketing crap. For a while I was getting calls from '0000000001'

Spam calls dont get answered.
Got one today "please hold while I connect you to the calling party". Not on a party line any more. After about 30 seconds the caller hung up. Phone system with operators .- where?

I have been getting these calls on a regular basis. About one each day and always near the same time of day.
They are hangup calls whether I answer or not.
Calling them back doesn't work because they are not ten-digit numbers.
A small amount of time searching the internet only told me I am not alone.

My primary question is--what possible value could there be for the instigators of these calls?
Has anyone else been irritated enough to find an understanding of why this happens?

I have more curiosity than I have pain.

BTW they are always different numbers (as far as I have been motivated to monitor)

OOps the phone is ringing--I will put this thread on hold--please stand by.:eek:
Google no more robo calls think they're apps to block them on cellphones. I get robo calls from 203-439-xxxx all those numbers I don't answer.

I get bogus calls with my area code and local exchange number to make you think it's a local call. It seems like it's a losing battle with these robo calls. Not too many 800 calls anymore.

I get bogus calls with my area code and local exchange number to make you think it's a local call. It seems like it's a losing battle with these robo calls. Not too many 800 calls anymore.
Yes that seems to be the newest strategy... A lot of times they even have the same prefix as me, as well as my area code

What i cant stand is when i answer the phone and whoever it is whose calling takes a few seconds to respond. Always a telemarketer or some other BS

I have had those too. My thought about the delay is the time needed for satellite transfer. Sometimes connections go around the world several times before landing.

I would like to re-emphasize that I am talking about ----9 digit numbers--- coming in.
The spam with regular (ten digit) numbers is another issue that is aside from my questions.

Toying with and understanding spam callers has been a sport that I have enjoyed for many years.

The --connections-- I am asking about here are never made. (and cannot be made). If I pick up or not has no effect. The calls keep coming and are never the same number.
My question remains---what is this all about??

Last edited:
Read online (for what's that worth) they're phone number collectors. Pickup or let go to voice mail tag your it. They sell your number, sound plausible ?

Read online (for what's that worth) they're phone number collectors. Pickup or let go to voice mail tag your it. They sell your number, sound plausible ?

This does sound plausible. Hmm-- If I pick up (it is a race because the hangup happens within seconds). It could be a score for someone -for something --if I beat the time involved chosen for a pick up to happen someone --somewhere may make a paycheck.--Ka ching.:lol:
That "something" is my question. Where is the potential value that explains the effort to make it happen?

If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer it. If it's important they will leave a message. The annoying calls stop after a day or two.

Had my own phone number call me.

Maybe a -butt- call?:) Be careful who you may call when sitting on your phone.
I once listened to background sounds and conversation from a phone that called me unintentionally:p.

I did a search on Bing for '9 digit spam phone call' and got pages of people with the same troubles.

Auto Transport Service
Back