• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Install PS box, weld angle?

Jonas Nordstrom

Local time
1:43 AM
Reaction score
Ive got my PS box back from Firm feel and is about to install it.

I noticed one of the bolt attaching nuts is loose inside the k-frame, the lonely one.
Im planning to carefully weld the nut and im wondering if this bolt has the same angle as the other two bolts out from the k-frame?

Also, my bolts looks like in the pic, is there supposed to be some lock-washer or anything?

steering_box_install.jpg

The flange on the steering box is all the same angle so it only stands to reason that so are the bolts.

No lock washer.

Take care to make sure the steering box sits on all three pads flat. These K-frames were
fabricated from stampings and the pads were not machined flat. Steering boxes were notorious for
coming loose for this reason.

Take care to make sure the steering box sits on all three pads flat. These K-frames were
fabricated from stampings and the pads were not machined flat. Steering boxes were notorious for
coming loose for this reason.

Yeah, when I was removing my box I could screw out the bolts with two fingers. That was a bit scary.

Ok, the plot thickens.

I got the nut out, attached to it was a piece of wrench and everything was packed in a ball of newspaper.

Now I also think I know where the hole in my k-member comes from. Someone opened a hole trying to reach the nut for the steering box bolt.

IMG_20200620_134123_resized_20200620_113852584.jpg IMG_20200620_134308_resized_20200620_113852210.jpg

Holy ****! Look at that jagged hole! And I thought I had problems with my steering box mounting bolts... Looks like someone stripped out the threads on that hole and used a nut to hold it in place. Makes me appreciate my old junk pile car more haha..

My old bolts had lock washers. I installed new grade 8 bolts with lock washers.. Used an ARP thread cleaner/chaser on mine first, as two of the holes were partially cross threaded. The ARP chaser fixed the holes. Was able to screw in by hand and torque to 120 ft lbs after.

Yeah, and even after making that jagged hole they noticed that you do not reach the nut from there.....though they did not close the hole.:(

The threads for all three bolts and nuts are perfect on mine, could screw them in/out by hand.
Now I just have to weld in the third nut somehow with good support.
...and also close that hole.

I wish you were in the US, I'd give you one of my K-frames that I have kicking around. :(

I appreciate the thought. :thumbsup:
Except this small hurdle my k-frame is in good condition.
Later when I pull the engine I will also re-inforce it.

Auto Transport Service
Back