• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing a Cold Case radiator in Roadrunner and GTO. Need advice on flushing out old coolant.

I actually have a Gano brand filter I use... I've had it for years & install it when ever I do an engine or radiator.... The Champion filter is nicer, the things I don't particularly like about the Gano the Champion addresses....
One of the reviews made a similar comparison, Champion having more capacity being one advantage.
Because the 421 hasn't seen that much use in the 3 years since it was rebuilt, and my 440 has never been comprehensively flushed by me although I did have the radiator flushed when it was uninstalled when it was repaired, they both can benefit from a good service, and I don't want all of that old crap to clog passages in 2 new "forever" radiators. Both engines are getting Wraptor serpentine belt systems, Air Conditioning, and new water pumps come with the Wraptors, so lots of reasons to clean them out.

I stumbled onto this on Amazon. Maybe it's worth checking into.

71l91sKVpYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Irontite-Tho...QE3ZTMWRPCN&psc=1&refRID=W8WP2AJACQE3ZTMWRPCN

This seems like a good place to ask this-

I regularly use a flush and fill kit.

So much so, that the plastic exit fitting that goes where the radiator cap goes looses it's grip in the hole.

This actually can happen on the first use, as the hot water tends to make the cheap plastic very pliable.

Is there a more durable one available?

Nylon, Acetal, Delrin, etc?

I've also found that a small garden hose is the right size to slip into that fitting and seal (after you cut off the hose fitting end), extending the run for the old coolant to however long your hose is, rather than just the plastic spout, which lets the coolant gush out all over your grill.

Don't forget to turn on the heater (set to hot so the valve opens) so the heater core gets flushed too.

What year is that Durango in the gates vid?

The rad cap is on the radiator and NOT in the upper hose like all the ones I've owned or seen.

OK- they said '99.

My 2000 has the cap in the upper hose, as do all others I've seen of this body style.

Not very friendly to use.

Also the drain cock on Dakota/Durango is a royal PITA to get to and has a very small diameter with a short discharge hose.

...and I'm on my 5th water pump at 167,000 miles.

As was posted earlier in this thread use Cascade auto dishwasher detergent. It is the recommended cleaner for our Caterpillar products. It cleans without the side issues of reacting with certain metals, doesn’t foam and blah blah blah. Dump some in run for a while and drain it. Flush it clean and redo if necessary

As was posted earlier in this thread use Cascade auto dishwasher detergent. It is the recommended cleaner for our Caterpillar products. It cleans without the side issues of reacting with certain metals, doesn’t foam and blah blah blah. Dump some in run for a while and drain it. Flush it clean and redo if necessary
I'm pretty sure that is what I have for my dishwasher. I'll accept that advice. Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back