• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Insulating the shifter cable from header heat 65 Coronet

renig50

Reaction score
I have installed a B and M Ratchet shifter in my 360 magnum 727 trans 65 Coronet. The problem is that the only path for the shifter cable from the bracket on the transmission puts it right up against the exhaust header where the cable goes across the bell housing. I already ruined the first cable. I have found a way to route the cable, (using the ruined one) so that it only touches the header in this one place, but there is no getting around this one place. So my questions are, 1) how did others handle this dilemma, 2)What are the best materials to wrap/insulate the cable at that point, 3) should I get or have made a cable that will tolerate this positioning, if so from who, or s
20161111_163032[1].jpg
20170704_112335[1].jpg
hould I get a whole different shifter/cable assembly that avoids this issue? Very interested in anything that will fix this for the last time. This is really a jumpin' hot rod with over 400 HP and a 4500 stall converter and a 3.55 to 1 posi. I love it but don't want to be fixing it over and over. Help Help

I had a similar issue with my speedometer cable going across my exhaust, right behind the header collector.

First, think creative & try your very hardest to get at least "some" clearance between the shifter cable & the header....custom bracket or whatever. In my case, this meant custom fabricating a little 1-screw bracket to get the cable 1/4" of the exhaust....think outside the box if at all possible.

Next, you can buy some "heat socks" which often go around spark plug boots & slide one of those over the shifter cable & tie it in place with something that won't melt (baling wire, coat hanger, etc.). Finally, get some header wrap from your local parts store & wrap at least that section of the header (more if you like). This will give you double insulation. Hope this helps.

Her are some old photos of a Dart,904 trans,not that the 727 is much different,B&M shifter. Had the same problem. Routed the cable to the passenger side of the transmission and under the bell housing. I think I used their 6 foot cable. I did make some heat shields along with a tin plate to hold the cable under the bell housing.That was almost 20 years ago and still working and no burnt cable. Just a thought and something for you to look at.Not the best photos but to give you a idea.

IMG_0430.jpg IMG_0431.jpg IMG_0432.jpg

A 4 foot cable routes much better than a 5 foot cable.
Doug

DEI makes a cable cover that can withstand high heat, direct and ambient.

A 4 foot cable routes much better than a 5 foot cable.
Doug
Thanks very much, but this won't help as my issue is that the intersection I am working with is 3" in front of the bracket that bolts the cable to the trans. It simply can't be avoided regardless of cable length.

eBay for sure, Amazon might carry it. They come in different sizes, so check the od of your cable and order accordingly.

I had a similar issue with my speedometer cable going across my exhaust, right behind the header collector.

First, think creative & try your very hardest to get at least "some" clearance between the shifter cable & the header....custom bracket or whatever. In my case, this meant custom fabricating a little 1-screw bracket to get the cable 1/4" of the exhaust....think outside the box if at all possible.

Next, you can buy some "heat socks" which often go around spark plug boots & slide one of those over the shifter cable & tie it in place with something that won't melt (baling wire, coat hanger, etc.). Finally, get some header wrap from your local parts store & wrap at least that section of the header (more if you like). This will give you double insulation. Hope this helps.
Hey Purple, thanks very much for all your ideas. I will be incorporating some of them. I have some reflective heat shielding material that I am thinking of making a box shaped tube out of to go over the cable in the contact area after baseball wrapping that entire area of the cable with 3M 2242 self sealing tape which has, I think, better heat resistant properties than just the red rubber cable jacket itself. Then I plan to put another thickness of the heat shielding between the "box" and the header which is already wrapped in DEI Titanium header wrap. Hopefully all these extreme measures will work.

On my '62 I used a foil insulation over a sparkplug sleeve. Ran the shifter cable through the header and park gear over the headed where the factory had ran it. Bought the plug wire stretch cover and foil sleeve from Summit. Good for hundreds of degrees and double protection.
20170513_131348.jpg

Made a bracket bolted to the bell housing to keep the cable in its place.
20170518_210619.jpg

20170518_210609.jpg

I don’t think ur 3M heat-resistant tape is gonna stand up. “resistant” usually means a little farther away.

Can buy a pair of Mechanix Wear Heat Sleeves.17 inhes long. Made of 100% kevlar and a unique fibershield. Designed to repel oil, fuels and other liquids. Heat-resistant and fire-retardant @ 21.77 a pair.
One to wear and one for your shift cable.

DEI has heat sleeves at Advance auto parts, or Auto Zone. In the high performance section. Been on for 10 years.

I had the same issue. I burned 2 cables and wanted a permanent fix. I wrapped the headers from top to bottom with the DEI titanium wrap, to double up I then bought a DIE titanium 6' sleeve. Haven't had any issues since.

Back