• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intake manifold height

MoparMadman

Local time
4:02 PM
Reaction score
I’ve got a 69 Coronet RT with Ramcharger hood. I’d like to swap out my stock cast iron intake for a Edelbrock RPM which is 1.7” taller. Does anyone know if that will interfere with the Ramcharger air box. If so, is there a decent aftermarket 2 plane intake out there at the stock height? Thanks

I went through the same thing a few years ago on my 69 Bee. The Performer RPM will not fit. For current production manifolds, a standard Performer, or Weiand Action + will work. I also bought a 440 air cleaner baseplate from PG Classics, that gives you some more room as well. I ran the Weiand for awhile, but then found an old Holley Street Dominator. That is a single plane however.

I went through the same thing a few years ago on my 69 Bee. The Performer RPM will not fit. For current production manifolds, a standard Performer, or Weiand Action + will work. I also bought a 440 air cleaner baseplate from PG Classics, that gives you some more room as well. I ran the Weiand for awhile, but then found an old Holley Street Dominator. That is a single plane however.
How much space did the PG Classics baseplate save you? Thanks

I use an Edelbrock CH4B with my ‘69 Air Grabber setup, no issues…

IMG_4556.jpeg

How much space did the PG Classics baseplate save you? Thanks
Here is my scribbling from the manifolds I had with their measured heights and how they compare to a stock 383 4 barrel peice. Looks like I measured that the 440 base dropped the aircleaner lid 11/16". Still not enough to fit the RPM intake if that's what you were wondering.

20240316_111044.jpg

20240316_111056.jpg

I’ve got a 69 Coronet RT with Ramcharger hood. I’d like to swap out my stock cast iron intake for a Edelbrock RPM which is 1.7” taller. Does anyone know if that will interfere with the Ramcharger air box. If so, is there a decent aftermarket 2 plane intake out there at the stock height? Thanks
The CH4B is the only aftermarket intake that I know of that will fit, but these guys may be correct about other intakes (?). As far as the air cleaner - it won’t help you a with a 440 engine.

Ahhh, I missed that little tidbit from the first post that you stated you have an R/T. So it already has a 440 baseplate. And you are dealing with RB intakes. So everything I posted unfortunately does you no good.....

What about the Performer rather than the Performer RPM?
The manifold is lower and they do run to 5500 and further if you port them.

This Mopar M1 aluminum RB intake manifold is the only one that is the stock height, it has an operating range from idle to 5800 rpm part# P4529118

Last produced late 1990s but I have seen used ones for sale.

M1 intake manifold 440 P4529118  P4532063.jpg

The only two intakes that fit are stock 4bbl or 6pak (with factory 6pak air cleaner).

Aren't the carb mounting pads considerably taller on the 6 pack intake compared to the stock 4bbl?

The CH4B is 0.4" taller than the stock intake. The Performer in 0.5" Taller. The Holley SD is 0.9" taller the Performer RPM is 1.6' taller.

The M1 dual plane is the factory iron unit, but in aluminum. Other than the 22 lbs weight savings, there is no performance advantage.

i would do the M1 dual plane and have it ported. my cast iron i ran was ported and was way better then the ch4b and performer which were no better than stock.

Doesn’t seem like there are too many intake manifold options….that sucks
there is the rpm performer but not if you need hood clearance. had to mill my rpm carb top plate a 1/4 inch for hood clearance.

Aren't the carb mounting pads considerably taller on the 6 pack intake compared to the stock 4bbl?
They are but there is also a different baseplate to accommodate that. I have a Six Pack and a 383 baseplate floating around. I might cut the intake funnel off the 383 baseplate and machine a new one out of aluminum that I can bolt or rivet on that will give me the needed clearance for a new intake manifold

Another vote for CH4B. A friend built a mild 440 with one and got just a tick short of 500 horse and as much torque. They work quite well.

Another vote for CH4B. A friend built a mild 440 with one and got just a tick short of 500 horse and as much torque. They work quite well.

A previous poster said the CH4B was the same as the stock intake, I respectfully disagree. The plenum is visibly larger and the cross section and volume of the runners is also larger. Are there better intakes? Absolutely, but for someone wanting to retain the factory Air Grabber it’s a good option…

A previous poster said the CH4B was the same as the stock intake, I respectfully disagree. The plenum is visibly larger and the cross section and volume of the runners is also larger. Are there better intakes? Absolutely, but for someone wanting to retain the factory Air Grabber it’s a good option…

you're right you know..jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back