• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interior cabin lights dim, but don’t go out, when doors are closed

Lg369dc

Local time
2:15 AM
Reaction score
Interior lights of the cabin started going only dim, and not fully out, when the doors are closed. Noticed this when my battery started going dead. When the doors are open, the lights brighten up fully as expected. Does annyone have any ideas as to what the cause would be? I’m thinking it’s a bad door switch but not sure. I pulled out the door switches and the driver side only has one blade connector. The passenger side has two blades both connected. I’ve read here that this one wire on on side ans twin on the other may be the norm. Would the lights staying on dimly when doors are shut be due to one of the blades being broken off on driver side? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Dont the leads on both sides come right into the cabin near the switches?? Try unplugging one side or the other and see what happens. A wiring diagram should show you how they work and where they go. Check out MyMopar.com for a specific diagram.

On my 74 I was having same issue AND also when that happened got lost the brake lights along with overheat on fusebox able to melt the cavity of the fuse feeding that circuit. I even got burnt my finger tip touching the fuse cap!

Actually couldn’t locate where it was really the issue. Everything points out to some small short on a ground circuit related to dome light, but not really sure. The weakest point could be door jam switches, but who knows.

I would start with the door jam switches.

Auto Transport Service
Back