• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is a windage tray needed?

b_body_hopeful

Local time
5:47 PM
Reaction score
I am wondering if I really need this windage tray when I put my oil pan on this 73 RR 400 CID?
I will not be racing this car. Will there be a clearance issue if I don't use it?

I have the old "oil pan leak" like others do for not as long as others, but am trying like you all to fix the damn thing.

If I purchase the JEGS windage tray with the reusable gaskets, what sealant did you use to really seal the pan?

This is driving me crazy like it does for so many other oil pan leak lucky ones.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Windage tray is (up to) 15 free horsepower, but mostly at the high end of the RPM range. If you have a deep oil pan, it is less effective because the pan oil is further from the crank. In your situation, I would leave it out as there will be one less gasket to worry about. There will be no clearance issues if you do. You probably won't notice it is gone with a street motor. I have always used the Mopar oil pan bolt package on my engines. There is a loc-tite compound on the bolts that keeps them from loosening.

I used the Jegs windage tray when I put my 383 together. I liked the fact that it is reusable. I used a little dab of RTV only where there was break(where the timing cover joint hits the pan and at the back where the rear main cap joints hit the pan). Good luck.

you will not notice and "seat of the pants" power gain or loss with or without the tray

I really don't care about the HP. This year (1973) of motor, even though it has
280ish hp or so, just want to drive it without oil all over. I do though care about fitment....can I leave the tray out and still clear the pan from the oil pickup?

yes...the tray makes no difference in pan fitment. I take it you are changing this while engine is still in the car?

yes, Mr. WING....doing this while it is in the car. Actually, This will be the second time, just wanted to make it easier on myself this time. I need more hands, lol and the wife has no patience nor fingers.......
If the motor was out of the car, I would install one.

Auto Transport Service
Back