• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is heat shrink good for in tank work?

Frankb

Local time
1:58 PM
Reaction score
Rewiring new fuel pump (Walbro 255) I want to use heat shrink on the connectors that attach to the end of the fuel pump harness. I use MSD duel wall, tube set with adhesive heat shrink. It is made of polyolefin. The connectors attach at the top of the fuel pump mount plate so they will not normally be submerged in fuel but they will get fuel splash, fumes, etc. They will be submerged only with a full tank. Will this heat shrink perform satisfactory in a fuel tank environment? I don't want them to turn into goo a few years down the road.
Frank

fueltank2.jpg

I would use a better grade of (solder)connectors and fuel line clamps instead of the standard clamps. You pump didn't come with or recommend specific hardware ?

I used the Mopar crimp clamps on mine.

Google "polyolefin chemical resistance" and you'll have your answer. In your photo I don't see anywhere you'd need heat shrink.

Whats in the pic is the hardware that the old pump came with. The new pump came with nothing.
Polyolefin is considered fuel compatible but there is some debate on to what degree - submerged vs environmental exposure for example
Because of the small circumference of the cover plate better hose clamps cannot be used. They will interfere with the cable connections. I'm sure there is a better clamp that will work somewhere - perhaps the Mopar crimp clamp as suggested
Really I was looking for what others have done in this situation and what they have used. A plain non insulated connector will probably work fine but that just seems wrong to me. Thanks for your input
Frank

The same connectors as in your photo are readily available virtually anywhere. But as far as insulation, I don't see the point as there's no way they'd touch each other unless one fell off - and then you'd know it pretty quick!

Also ...

PVC and polyolefin heat shrink tubing can both be applied and shrunk in various conventional ways that are simple and easy enough where just about anyone can use them. Shrink temperatures are low enough that no special equipment other than basic heat guns or butane micro torches are needed. Both materials are highly resistant to common automotive, marine and aerospace fuels, as well as many household and electrician cleaning fluids and chemicals.

What does the factory use on in tank pumps ? Go to the local parts store and ask to see a current pump to see what connectors/clamps are used .

Auto Transport Service
Back