• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is my clutch good or bad?

69'Net

Local time
12:54 AM
Reaction score
I'm new to 4 speed cars. I just bought a 4 speed and the clutch is only a few inches from the floor and I feel like it's difficult to drive at times with small pedal travel. I pulled the trans and engine today to freshen things up and I found that it's a diaphram clutch. Based on what I've read the over head spring may be the issue. But I also wanted to get an opinion from some more experienced guys on the clutch wear before I bolt it back up. I attached some pics, fire away
20220716_201120.jpg
20220716_201018_03.jpg
20220716_201107.jpg

There is a thickness spec for the clutch disk that you should check. When it's thinner than that it's wore out.
The flywheel looks like it may have oil on it, that will ruin the disk.
If I were you I would make sure the trans is not leaking at the front, it may need a new seal.
Reface the flywheel.
Get a new clutch disk and pressure plate that matches your application.
In my opinion it's too much work to put a questionable one back in.

Yeah your better of getting a new one

I helped a friend with his clutch yesterday that a GM fan/mechanic had adjusted way down close to the floor for him. He had even fit a second spring on the fork trying to keep the TO bearing off the clutch arms. The owner complained his clutch started slipping but he wasn’t having any problems shifting or getting into reverse. I told him that the gorilla spring under the dash must be putting enough pressure on the linkage and throw out bearing to slightly unload the clutch. Yesterday we adjusted it up to where the free play was just barely over the break over point on the clutch pedal and test drove the car. He pounded on it pretty good in 3rd and 4th and the clutch was hooking up fine now. So if your clutch was adjusted way down close to the floor it’s possible it has been slipping.

Considering the work to pulling a transmission I would put a new clutch and TO bearing in it. Take a good look at the flywheel to and check it for flatness with a straightedge and with a dial indicator with it mounted on the crank. If it’s flat and the surface cleans up with some 80 grit on an orbital sander and there are no heat cracks then it’s probably OK. If not get it machined if it’s not already under thickness.

There is a thickness spec for the clutch disk that you should check. When it's thinner than that it's wore out.
If I were you I would make sure the trans is not leaking at the front, it may need a new seal.
Reface the flywheel.
Thanks a bunch, I'll probably just buy a new one then. I was leaning that way anyway but just wanted another opinion. Appreciate the responses.

Reface the flywheel.
It does have oil on it, the oil pressure sending unit above the bell housing was leaking bad

Auto Transport Service
Back