• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the 440+6 idle solenoid necessary for street use?

NO, absolutely WORTHLESS. Unless youre just wanting the OEM "Look". Never has any 6 Pack/6 Barrel car Ive owned ever "Deiseled" at shut-off..

Same here. Never any problems for me either without one.

Mine has had the solenoid since day one and it works as intended, is it needed? No, you will do just fine without one.

Bolts attaching the carbs to the manifold itself.

studs with wingnuts to attach the air cleaner to the top of the carbs

Bolts attaching the carbs to the manifold itself.

studs with wingnuts to attach the air cleaner to the top of the carbs

Are these bolts with the H on head correct?

upload_2021-2-21_11-52-58.jpeg

upload_2021-2-21_11-53-6.jpeg

I believe the bottom cleaner studs are '71.

The carb bolts look like the repops I have. My cast intake has a couple holes that are not deep enough for them, even after chasing with a bottom tap.

My 4443 solenoid ('71 I believe) came with this setup way back in '78. I've never used it, but it does work.
upload_2021-2-21_11-49-17.png

carb to air cleaner studs A and C appear to be th eexact same, just different camera angle.

Studs with the shoulder is right for 70-71

Carbs bolts with the H on them is also correct for 70-71

carb to air cleaner studs A and C appear to be th eexact same, just different camera angle.

Studs with the shoulder is right for 70-71

Carbs bolts with the H on them is also correct for 70-71

Do you or anyone else here know how long the carb hold down bolts should be?

@Daves69 how long are yours, that are too long?

Certainly agree the idle solenoid isn’t needed. My 71 had one when I purchased the car in 1982 so I ran with it. It wasn’t the original DR1114443. It had been replaced with a 1970 DR1114429 solenoid sometime during the cars first eleven years of life. Funny thing is I just this morning replaced the 1970 solenoid with a “rebuilt” 1971 solenoid that I purchased a few months ago. Very pricey but that’s what happens once you start down the correct numbers restoration path.
FWIW looking at the original image posted it doesn’t not appear the intake has provisions to mount a solenoid anyway?

Certainly agree the idle solenoid isn’t needed. My 71 had one when I purchased the car in 1982 so I ran with it. It wasn’t the original DR1114443. It had been replaced with a 1970 DR1114429 solenoid sometime during the cars first eleven years of life. Funny thing is I just this morning replaced the 1970 solenoid with a “rebuilt” 1971 solenoid that I purchased a few months ago. Very pricey but that’s what happens once you start down the correct numbers restoration path.
FWIW looking at the original image posted it doesn’t not appear the intake has provisions to mount a solenoid anyway?

I’ll have to check mine when I get to the storage. I was looking at @gtx6970 post and wondering just when you posted. I don’t recall holes there. May have some pics of mine somewhere. I did see some brackets for 70 models to mount the solenoid as a repro item.

Will post pic of bracket below.

Your manifold should have the holes... Never seen a 440-6 manifold without them... The bracket is for 340-6...

I’m thinking I’ll just look for a cheaper one, maybe non serviceable one, that looks correct as mentioned above and fake it lol for the look.

@RJRENTON

Open folder 6 BBL Info 2.png

Here's my thing, on a 69 1/2?
There's NO wire from anywhere to energize solenoid. Ive seen them on 4 speed cars, but have never seen where from which they come?! (Out of the wiring harness) that is..

That solenoid is not needed it was a anti dieseling thing they came up with. It was hooked up to the Electronic advance (vacuum with a solenoid) to retard the ignition timing 5 degrees (why the ignition is off) and the same time un energize the solenoid. One of Ma mopars finest moments if you ask me! NOT!

That solenoid is not needed it was a anti dieseling thing they came up with. It was hooked up to the Electronic advance (vacuum with a solenoid) to retard the ignition timing 5 degrees (why the ignition is off) and the same time un energize the solenoid. One of Ma mopars finest moments if you ask me! NOT!
Not on the six packs, had nothing to do with vacuum advance

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'll have to look into that, my distributor is just been sitting on the shelf for many many many years, but I still do have the original to my engine. maybe I'm forgetting

Auto Transport Service
Back