• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is The Cross Ram intake manifold street-able

64plymouthsportsfury

Local time
12:26 AM
Reaction score
I am building a 64 plymouth Sports Fury and I want to make it a max wedge clone. But I really like cruising it in town and to burger runs. Is this intake really street-able or will it give me HELL!
My engine is a 30 over 440 10.25 /1 compression cast heads 509 mopar cam with a M1 signal plane on it right now with 3500 stall. Its not in the car yet but was in my 70 duster and it ran real good!
So would it work? will it need more stall? more cam? or is it not worth the big buk$ to make it a Max clone? Tell me your opinion on this! Thanks!:confused:

I've known people who ran Maxi's on the street. Never drove them very far due to the compression ratio and gears. They sure are a hit at cruises though.

I've seen a lot of people around here that run cross ram intakes with some pretty mild cams it also turns a lot of heads

i run a crossram on an AMC for almost 15 years .......never an issue

I am running a STR12 on a SB and have no problems and don't foresee any when it goes on the new 408 as well.

Its just so much money (about $2800 ) after carbs ,linkage air cleaners. To put on the motor and to have it run like crap! I just want it to run as good as it looks!

I recently sold a '64 Belvedere with a 426 Max Wedge engine, 11 to 1 compression, 509 cam, and 4 speed. I drove it to cruise-ins and car shows for 5 years. I don't think you need 750 carbs. I sold mine and went to 625 carbs, but smaller ones would also work. You'll have to be sure to tune the 2 carbs so the throttles open in sync. Dvorak Racing can help you with the equipment to do that.

I'd like to second what Histoy said. The 750's would be hard to make streetable. Too much gas falling in the motor for stop and go driving. You would come to a stop sign and hope you don't flood them out. I run smaller carbs and shes been running smooth and fast ever since.
Warren
100_0549-1.jpg

In Colorado you might consider smaller Cater AVS carbs off of a 340 or 383. They will bolt on and provide really good throttle response and good power with your mild 440. Sounds like a neat combination to me, and you could do this with whatever gear your camshaft can stand, even 3.55's!

I made my 440 in my 63 look as much like a Max Wedge as I could but did not have the bucks to go with the crossram setup. I hope to go to it one day but from what I here the Holley Street Dominator intake with the 850 DP I run may actually be faster then the crossram setup will. I hope that it wont actually hurt my performance when I do switch to it. Ron

:cheers2:Very Street able "IF YOU SET it UP RIGHT" Do your Home work on size of Valves, carbs, cam, gears etc. If you set it up it will perform and sound great. Can't expect to run 780 or 850 carbs and 11.1 or higher compression and be street able.You have to build it for the way you want to drive and or run it.I know guys that have the Cross Rams on worked 440s, they aren't daily drivers but they are very street able:yes:

Last edited:
Also, I believe you will find modifications (ie. the addition of dams, etc.) in the DC/MP bible that will assist with performance and perhaps overall drivability.

running a crossram, is no problem and they are very streetable. you need to jet accordingly and fine tune with metering rods. i hve been running one on the street for years and with carter carbs, i can get them to run better than a single holley.

I ran a Max in my 68 Road Runner back in the 80's without problems. It had the stock small dome pistons (11.5:1?), Holley 600 DP's and a 4 spd with 3.55's. The Holleys were jetted stock (66 x 76) or one size smaller on the primaries and used the 218 pump cam in the primaries. The cam was an old Cal Cams regrind...I wanna say .514/.538" and 320 deg advertised. Anyway, all I was able to do was 12.90's at 110 MPH on hard Big O 14" street tires feathering the throttle until I got half way into second. All that thing did was spin the tires, but it was fun!!

I traded my good running 383 straight across for the Max Wedge - ahhh, those were the days. It was running but the guy didn't know what was inside, so after I got it home I disassembled it and found it had been honed and polished to the point of no return. So without any money to do anything I just slapped it back together with new rings and bearings and hoped for the best. The pistons were .011" to the wall and the rods and mains were checked with blue Plastigauge - because the green stuff only goes to .004" and was still round!! The blue stuff said clearances were at .006". It idled at 1200 RPM and sounded like a diesel when it was cold. The hot oil pressure was 60 PSI with the same pump that was running 95+ PSI on my 383. Oh, the good news is I still have the engine (minus heads and intake) and the car it was in. After 20+ yrs of resting it will live again in my recently purchased 69 RR (or something else) but with proper clearances.

Sorry to ramble, but this thread triggered some good old memories.

I ran a Max in my 68 Road Runner back in the 80's without problems. It had the stock small dome pistons (11.5:1?), Holley 600 DP's and a 4 spd with 3.55's. The Holleys were jetted stock (66 x 76) or one size smaller on the primaries and used the 218 pump cam in the primaries. The cam was an old Cal Cams regrind...I wanna say .514/.538" and 320 deg advertised. Anyway, all I was able to do was 12.90's at 110 MPH on hard Big O 14" street tires feathering the throttle until I got half way into second. All that thing did was spin the tires, but it was fun!!

I traded my good running 383 straight across for the Max Wedge - ahhh, those were the days. It was running but the guy didn't know what was inside, so after I got it home I disassembled it and found it had been honed and polished to the point of no return. So without any money to do anything I just slapped it back together with new rings and bearings and hoped for the best. The pistons were .011" to the wall and the rods and mains were checked with blue Plastigauge - because the green stuff only goes to .004" and was still round!! The blue stuff said clearances were at .006". It idled at 1200 RPM and sounded like a diesel when it was cold. The hot oil pressure was 60 PSI with the same pump that was running 95+ PSI on my 383. Oh, the good news is I still have the engine (minus heads and intake) and the car it was in. After 20+ yrs of resting it will live again in my recently purchased 69 RR (or something else) but with proper clearances.

Sorry to ramble, but this thread triggered some good old memories.

MEEP MEEP, you are right on with all those jetting settings and the dieseling d metering rods to fine tune.sound when cold, mine sounds like that also, what a great sound, jetting is the key and fine tuning with metering rods.

Auto Transport Service
Back