• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here we go Air Grabber intake combo

Dimension

Local time
12:46 AM
Reaction score
I have a '69 RoadRunner with the 383 in it and I was planning on installing a Torker 383 intake that I was able to aquire but that has now fallen through. The machine shop said that someone stripped out the bolt holes and then but oversized bolts in really doing a number on the intake. Long store short I need another intake.

I was thinking about going after the Torker 383 again for I am basically replicating the setup that Hot Rod years ago and when Nick's Gurage tested it out his Torker 383 produced more power then the M1 intake that Hot Rod used. For a car that is going to primarily be a show car and occasional driver you think I should go back with a single plane intake or a dual? From what I have read the Torker 383 really does not give up that much power on the low end for a single plane.

Dual plane. Have you ever run a torker before? It really does take away bottom end. And do you want to run the stock air cleaner and air grabber hood ducting?

and what rear end gears and converter? what cam.

It’s all about the combination. You can’t use a stock converter and 2.76 gear with a limpety lump cam and have any bottom end.

Edelbrock CH4B dual plane on my 440, it runs strong and works perfectly with the ’69 Air Grabber setup…

Dual plane. Have you ever run a torker before? It really does take away bottom end. And do you want to run the stock air cleaner and air grabber hood ducting?

and what rear end gears and converter? what cam.

It’s all about the combination. You can’t use a stock converter and 2.76 gear with a limpety lump cam and have any bottom end.

I bought the 440 air cleaner to give me the extra space needed. AS for the cam I bought the COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Cam with Basic Operating RPM Range: 1,600-5,800. As I mentioned before I was duplicating Nick's testing 383 he did.
This is in a 4 speed car so stall does not exist.

What is the consensus on the Edelbrock Performer RPM? Some of the tests I have seen is that it runs close to the Torker 383 but is dual plane. Also would it fit under the Air Grabber hood with the 440 plate?

Last edited:
Edelbrock CH4B dual plane on my 440, it runs strong and works perfectly with the ’69 Air Grabber setup…
A friend did the same with his 383 and 440. They worked with his 70 Bee Air Grabber. His mild 440 build and the CH4B dyno'd at 500 horse and about as much torque.

What is the consensus on the Edelbrock Performer RPM? Some of the tests I have seen is that it runs close to the Torker 383 but is dual plane. Also would it fit under the Air Grabber hood with the 440 plate?
The Performer RPM is a great manifold, but you will not get it to fit under an air grabber hood.

I have a '69 RoadRunner with the 383 in it and I was planning on installing a Torker 383 intake that I was able to aquire but that has now fallen through. The machine shop said that someone stripped out the bolt holes and then but oversized bolts in really doing a number on the intake. Long store short I need another intake.

I was thinking about going after the Torker 383 again for I am basically replicating the setup that Hot Rod years ago and when Nick's Gurage tested it out his Torker 383 produced more power then the M1 intake that Hot Rod used. For a car that is going to primarily be a show car and occasional driver you think I should go back with a single plane intake or a dual? From what I have read the Torker 383 really does not give up that much power on the low end for a single plane.
My 70 uses Torker stock 383 a/g cleaner and 780 Holley no problems for clearance.484 cam 3000-3200 stahl and 3.91 gears 11.5 cr and very happy with setup

IMG_0126.jpeg

After doing some digging and realizing that the cam I ordered is not the one that Nick used in his view. Mine is actually a little smaller and runs from the 1,600-5,800 RPM range. After seeing realizing the misorder I believe that I am going to go with the Weiand Action + 8008 which fits this cam's operating range nicely since the intake is from idle-6000 RPM. If I remember correctly I read some on here that Weiand Action + 8008 will under my air-grabber hood with the 440 base plate. What is a nice bonus is that I can order this intake new from Summit.

After doing some digging and realizing that the cam I ordered is not the one that Nick used in his view. Mine is actually a little smaller and runs from the 1,600-5,800 RPM range. After seeing realizing the misorder I believe that I am going to go with the Weiand Action + 8008 which fits this cam's operating range nicely since the intake is from idle-6000 RPM. If I remember correctly I read some on here that Weiand Action + 8008 will under my air-grabber hood with the 440 base plate. What is a nice bonus is that I can order this intake new from Summit.
I ran that intake for awhile on my 493 under an Air Grabber hood and a 440 baseplate. Plenty of room. I even had a 3/16" carb gasket under the Quick Fuel Q850.

On my 70 RR with OE air grabber setup, all fits fine with Mopar #P4529117(dual-plane) and Holley 770..

Just my $0.02...

Auto Transport Service
Back