• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this engine knock or normal. You tell me!

67charger440

Local time
9:16 PM
Reaction score
Greetings all, this is a mild 440 with summit racing headers, 750 CFM 1407 carb, and points distributor. Compression in all cylinders is 120-130 psi. Oil pressure is great. Adjusted timing with no change. I’m horribly terrified that this is lower end knock. I only hear it at the exhaust portion of the headers. I don’t hear this noise when I am under the hood. Is this noise just from there being no exhaust and the four individual pipes meeting into one? Yes it’s on both sides.

https://youtube.com/shorts/AnQDeg70lRM?feature=share

should i throw the 440 off the side of my nearest cliff?

Last edited:
Sounds kinda like it's not hitting real smooth on all 8....are all the plug wires correct? 7 and 8 are usually easily crossed and heard them sound sorta like that...

Sum-Ting-Wong.
Try pulling the dipstick out. (And run it)
Check for metallic oil.

Greetings all, this is a mild 440 with summit racing headers, 750 CFM 1407 carb, and points distributor. Compression in all cylinders is 120-130 psi. Oil pressure is great. Adjusted timing with no change. I’m horribly terrified that this is lower end knock. I only hear it at the exhaust portion of the headers. I don’t hear this noise when I am under the hood. Is this noise just from there being no exhaust and the four individual pipes meeting into one? Yes it’s on both sides.

should i throw the 440 off the side of my nearest cliff?

Sounds like not on all 8 if it idels try some water in a squirt bottel on each headder see if they all are hot.

Sounds kinda like it's not hitting real smooth on all 8....are all the plug wires correct? 7 and 8 are usually easily crossed and heard them sound sorta like that...
Thank you for the reply, just checked and it’s correct

I had a very similar sound in my Coronet when if first started the engine after rebuild. I too had it with open headers only. It turned our being that my flexplate was slightly bent and it was the one making the noise. You can tell easily if you take out the inspection plate covering the flexplate/convertor. It would show signs of the plate scraping.

Sounds like the plate hitting or something is loose like the post above stated

I had a very similar sound in my Coronet when if first started the engine after rebuild. I too had it with open headers only. It turned our being that my flexplate was slightly bent and it was the one making the noise. You can tell easily if you take out the inspection plate covering the flexplate/convertor. It would show signs of the plate scraping.
Okay will check! I just bought a automotive stethoscope. Hopefully I will be able to hear lower engine knock if there is any

After cool down recheck torque on header flange bolts.
Put your jack stands under the torsion bar/subframe inter section just for extra /stability safety.
Bolt up the rest of the exhaust and listen again. Running headers allows much more noise transmission than thick, cast iron manifolds.

Last edited:
Sounds like it is transmission to motor related. Backed out torque converter bolt or maybe something hitting access cover
Usually when that happens, it comes and goes.....like on accel and decel or just revving it up etc.

Bottom line lots of maybes and could bes a tad longer vid would tell more for the guess. If flex plate bolts easy way is to put a socket on her and turn by hand you will find it easy one step at a time.

Bottom line lots of maybes and could bes a tad longer vid would tell more for the guess. If flex plate bolts easy way is to put a socket on her and turn by hand you will find it easy one step at a time.
Here is a longer video

After reading some of your other posts, the glowing pipes, unknown motor,,
Makes ya wonder if some exhaust valves are sticking from rust and sitting..

Auto Transport Service
Back