• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this normal or did my timing chain slip ?

pearljam724

Local time
11:52 AM
Reaction score
I removed timing chain cover on small block 360 to drill out a broken power steering bracket bolt. My timing chain is fairly tight on left (passénger side). Moves about 1/4 inch. The right is very sloppy. Moves left to right about 1.5 inches. There is absolutely no wear on the teeth top and bottom. No noticeably noises when it was running before tear down. I bought the car back in November. Someone else installed an aftermarket cam. The chain looks new, but that’s hard to decipher. I assume it isn’t old based that there isn’t one spec of rust or heated on grime. So, I honestly don’t know how old it is. Please watch video.

The chain looks new, but that’s hard to decipher.
That is a plain jane stock junky timing chain. And, it's flat wore out!

Do yourself a favor, pull it, and place it in the scrap heap. Of course, set the timing marks up first, so install of the next chain/gears is easy.

Pretty much an always do, on a Mopar engine, is not use those timing chains. Find a good double-row roller timing chain, it will come with the new gears.

A little research will go a long way.

If aftermarket cam do a complete degree in procedure
who knows where it was ground to even if it says on a timing tag
is it a regrind, but even on new cores when lobe centers are changed from what the core was designed for the grinder sometimes moves the timing
post up any numbers etc if on nose of cam

Auto Transport Service
Back