• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this old body filler?

kliv555

Local time
8:35 AM
Reaction score
So I am beginning to sand down the paint to replace a quarter panel, it appears to be a layer of paint, then a hardened brown layer, then the steel underneath this. It doesn’t appear to be the case in other parts of the car. Thanks for any input.

CCA97C31-6653-4B24-9C55-BBA83E802F09.jpeg

Looks like it, if you pry it out in big chunks then it is for sure

Any old news papers in the back ? Surprise to see no chicken wire.

what did they use on the sail panels View attachment 1384536 just asking
They filled the seam on the quarter n roof line with lead solder.Cars with a vinyl roof were not finesse as one without.Dont know if they used a filling agent to smooth that transition for non vinyl roofs,but i would think so.Someone good at body work n working with lead solder can make that transition pretty smooth.

what did they use on the sail panels View attachment 1384536 just asking
The material used on vinyl roof car seams looks like bondo, but it is a different material. It is indeed a plastic filler, called Plastisol and was activated by the heat of the bake oven for paint curing. Painted roofs still used lead. There have been a few people who discovered lead under their vinyl roofs though.

Vinyl tops allowed the manufacturer to not be as concerned with sheet metal prep. Why do you think all Superbirds had vinyl tops ?
Big difference in a seam seal as opposed to a lower fender . Always metal there.

Vinyl tops allowed the manufacturer to not be as concerned with sheet metal prep. Why do you think all Superbirds had vinyl tops ?
Big difference in a seam seal as opposed to a lower fender . Always metal there.
I had a ‘68 New Yorker that came standard with vinyl sail panels. The roof was painted, but vinyl where they would have had to make it look pretty. :D The 4 door H/T. You can see what the factory did here.
C03936EE-5980-4AFA-B747-555058BDD061.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back