• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's been quite awhile since I have gotten hurt working on a car.

SteveSS

Local time
4:25 AM
Reaction score
I was replacing an electric window motor yesterday, following all the YouTube instructions. I even had the window clamped in place. All of a sudden the scissor mechanism gave way and trapped my left hand. My hand was stuck through a little hole in the inner door. I mean it was clamped down hard. I was home alone, couldn't reach my cell and my hand was not coming out! No one was outside so I couldn't yell for help. After about 5 minutes and some blood, I was able to find one lever that loosened its grip a little.

Lesson: Keep your cell phone where you can reach it.

So is the window mechanism ok?

Really...hope you're okay. Kind of scary when you find yourself in a precarious predicament. Been there, done that!

I did the same thing back in the mid 70's. Still have the scars. Lesson learned: don't pull motor off unless the lift unit is all the way up. When it comes down, you are loading against a big spring and the arms are very sharp.

Been there done that on a early Sunday morning , sliced the top of my hand open, needed a ride to ER, had to call a buddy wifey wasn’t ready! A little geo metro can get you 20 miles in a hurry when in a pinch. I can say it looked like steak on the inside of my meat hook. I was losing blood moderately well and keeping pressure on it was getting tough and all the bouncing around and being a little off from the injury made a wild ride in.. I remember his saying don’t pass out out... I made it but it was tough.. I was fighting blowing chunks on top of it all.. Thank God for friends , wifey showed up 20 min later .

I was replacing an electric window motor yesterday, following all the YouTube instructions. I even had the window clamped in place. All of a sudden the scissor mechanism gave way and trapped my left hand. My hand was stuck through a little hole in the inner door. I mean it was clamped down hard. I was home alone, couldn't reach my cell and my hand was not coming out! No one was outside so I couldn't yell for help. After about 5 minutes and some blood, I was able to find one lever that loosened its grip a little.

Lesson: Keep your cell phone where you can reach it.

I always have my cell phone with me but I have an iPhone with Siri so I I need to do is say “hey Siri” and she answers me. She can call whoever I need including 911. Glad you are ok. :thumbsup:

Fired a 3" framing nail into my left hand in the soft spot between my thumb and index finger while perched on a ladder 8 feet above the ground once, while building my shop. Effectively nailing myself to the joist.
No hammer, plyers, pry bar, anything at all in my tool belt that would assist me. I stood there for 3 hours, about ready to drop from fatigue, trying to figure out what the hell I was going to do short of ripping the nail through my hand.
Fortunately a buddy showed up out of the blue and I screamed at him before he could say hello, "Hand me that ******* framing hammer right there to your left, NOW!!!"
Have always made sure I have the phone on me since then.

I knew a roofing contractor who was stacking skids of roofing tar in his warehouse with a forklift. He climbed up the stack and while standing on one of the skids the forks drifted down and had his foot caught. He was stuck up there for quite sometime until his wife finally came home. He hollered for her and she came into the warehouse. Then he had a hard time trying to remember which leaver to tell her to operate and which direction to push or pull it. The wrong one or direction would cut his foot clean off. He lucked out and figured it out on the first try.

Certainly not as serious as these other injuries but I smashed my thumb in 2009, taking the trunk springs out of my 65. My son drove me to ER and the doc cut off the remainder of the unsmashed nail. It wasn't pleasant.
Mike
IMG_0450.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back