• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I've always been a charcoal griller...

tumblr_pbv7bkmaax1vnghdeo1_540.jpg

Had converted the Char Broil from prophane to charcoal years ago.
How you controling the heat when using charcoal?
I leave the lid open to cook hot dogs or they become black and crispy in no time.

Had converted the Char Broil from prophane to charcoal years ago.
How you controling the heat when using charcoal?
I leave the lid open to cook hot dogs or they become black and crispy in no time.
i just got it . but when i use charcoal i always have top up

i got the hybrid , propane and charcoal

View attachment 629278 View attachment 629280
I kind of did that with my Weber propane grill. I removed the flavor bars that cover the burners, cut a piece of expanded steel (grate) to cover them about an inch above them and then loaded the grate with lava rock. The lava rock never needs replacing, and heats up quickly, but soaks up the grease drippings and produces the flavor making smoke. The only down side it that you CAN still get a flare up from time to time, but that can be somewhat controlled depending on just how close you pack the lava rock. It gives me the best of both worlds.

I got a Pit Boss pellet grill and love it. I still use my Weber gasser but I can sear with the pit boss. It has a trap door that slides open over the fire box. Reverse searing steaks are the best I have eaten. I also do a lot of ribs and pulled pork and my favorite, brisket.. Oh, beer can chicken, pizza, mac and cheese, bacon, and the list goes on. You getting hungry yet?

7-20-18b.jpg
brisket6.jpg
7-4-18 3.jpg
2017-08-28 001 1300.jpg
2017-08-28 001 1301.jpg beer can chicken.jpg

Bringing this one back from the dead.
I'm a lump charcoal guy, I only use paper towels, olive oil and sugar to light it in a chimney.
It takes almost an hour for the coals to be ready.
So I don't grill as much as I should anymore with my daughters activities and everything else going on. I've been looking at a Z Grill(pellet) that's on sale. My current grill is almost 20 years old and my smoker goes unused since I don't have all day to tend to it and drink beer anymore. My thought I could replace both of them with one unit. Any regrets on pellet grills? Do you use the sear plates and smoke boxes? Thanks

Bringing this one back from the dead.
I'm a lump charcoal guy, I only use paper towels, olive oil and sugar to light it in a chimney.
It takes almost an hour for the coals to be ready.
So I don't grill as much as I should anymore with my daughters activities and everything else going on. I've been looking at a Z Grill(pellet) that's on sale. My current grill is almost 20 years old and my smoker goes unused since I don't have all day to tend to it and drink beer anymore. My thought I could replace both of them with one unit. Any regrets on pellet grills? Do you use the sear plates and smoke boxes? Thanks

Wow, I haven't used my Pitt boss for a long time. Too cold outside although you can smoke in the cold. Mine works well and has a opening sear plate which I use for burgers, chops, and steaks. Slow smoke and cook and then kick it up to 400° and open the sear plate. The best you have ever had. I have a gas grill as well but don't use it much. Maybe a LP tank a year.

7-20-18b.jpg 7-4-18 3.jpg chop.jpg

I’ve been looking at the pellet grills. Then I’ll have 3. Have a Weber which is just great and a camp chef flat top that gets used a lot. My brother has a pellet grill at his place on the Colorado river and his pellet grill supplies a meat fest every time. New Years we did a pig.

I'd buy a Treager but I have a gift card and rebates so I pay almost nothing. I have more rebates but momma wants a jet tub so I'm saving them up. I'll be out 60$, and still have 780$ left tword her tub, hope we can play submarines lol.

Wanted a smoker for a long time so wife bought me a Traeger for Christmas. I have it right beside my 1997 Weber propane grill. I would say we use either one of these 5 or 6 times a week, just depends on what we have to cook and how much time.

I went to a pellet grill (CampChef) and absolutely love it.
It's so easy to grille, wife uses it a lot, something she wouldn't do with charcoal or propane.

It's only a smoker if it is set low, to smoke. You do get a little pellet flavor when grilling, which is fine.

No more running a tank out half way through, no screwing around lighting charcoal.
The convenience means more grilling, less cooking in house.

Check out Matt Pittman’s videos about smoking and bbq. His Meat Church rubs are outstanding.

Wanted a smoker for a long time so wife bought me a Traeger for Christmas. I have it right beside my 1997 Weber propane grill. I would say we use either one of these 5 or 6 times a week, just depends on what we have to cook and how much time.

I’ve had my Traeger about 3 years and I still have my 20+ year old Weber silver B. The Weber has gotten very little or no use for the past couple of years. I’ve held on to it because I can make rottesserie stuff, something that Traeger doesn’t offer. I don’t miss the big flare-ups/ burnt steaks and the propane flavor!!

Havent tried it on my Weber but i have done meatloaf, baked beans, cornbread and pizza. All come out delicious. Some even bake pies in their smoker.

Auto Transport Service
Back