• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jason's 68 coronet build

20160813_225305.jpg
20160813_225257.jpg
Next you remove the cover bolts. There are screws that take a 5/16 socket and nuts that take a 11/32 socket. After that gently pry the box apart at the lower seam, working your way up. It will tip up to separate the heater core from the evaporator.

20160813_232710.jpg
To remove the heater core, there are 2 5/16 screws on the cover that need to come out. Then there is a 1/4 screw that holds the linkage to the center vent flapper. Remove that also. The heater core will then separate.

I forgot to mention, before you remove the heater core, the inlet lines need to come off. There are 4 1/4" drive screw that come out, then just slowly work the inlet lines off. They just have an o ring seal to the heater core.

I will pressure check the heater core for leaks. If it checks out I will clean up the box and install. If it fails I will be going with an aftermarket system, probably classic auto air. It simply cost to much to restore a factory AC box for my application.

Waiting on some parts now. My body gasket kit and 1/4 window regulator rebuild kit will be here this week. Tomorrow I will color sand and buff the doors, then they can be reassembled.

20160709_130004.jpg
20160709_130004.jpg
In the next few days I need to get going on my hood. After I painted the car I stood back and said "that's alot of blue". I always wanted a 6 pack hood, so why not. I will mount the scoop and paint the hood with a low gloss black.

Buy some Evapo-Rust and soak those rusty parts. It works extremely well. It is $23 at Advance Auto Parts or $15 if you order online at Walmart and deliver to pick up at your local store. While you're there buy different sized plastic storage container to soak the parts in; you can use them later for storage.

evapo rust.jpeg

Down to just the doors for sanding and buffing. After hitting it with 1500 grit.
20160814_214319.jpg

20160815_171458.jpg
After sanding with 2000 grit, wool pad and compound, white foam pad and compound. Still have to hit it with the black pad and polish to go for the ultra shine.

Nice job, looks awesome! I wish I could be at this point right now with my bird, but I'll have to wait for that.
Keep up posting pics really cool to see that progress.

Mine is also a black interior but I am contemplating bringing the body color inside by not painting the door black on the inside. Have you seen an example like that?

Mine is also a black interior but I am contemplating bringing the body color inside by not painting the door black on the inside. Have you seen an example like that?
I think the orange and black would look nice. Mine has white door panels and seats, which is why I went with black.

I think the orange and black would look nice. Mine has white door panels and seats, which is why I went with black.

Ah so you will have contrasting colors on the door. That's what I thought. Orange with the black panel and black Coronet 500 placard would be sharp

Auto Transport Service
Back